• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Salts - Mash v/s Sparge

gl1800cat

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am getting into the water profile part of Beer Smith. I am confused as to where you select where you add "X" amount of a given ingredient. In my Design tab, everything is shown in the sparge and nothing for the mash. I am using distilled water for this recipe.

1714324872678.png
Also, it is calling for about 2 grams of chalk. This is Calcium Carbonate, which would raise the ph, correct? Starting at a ph of 7.0, I would want to go lower to hit a nominal value of 5.3 for the mash.

I'm guessing this isn't all that bad once you figure it out, but there sure is a lot to think about !!

Once you've added all of the other ingredients on the design tab, selected and made necessary adjustments to your mash profile and selected the base water profile, click on the water tab and select your target style profile. The software will calculate and break down the brewing salt additions between the mash and the sparge. Once you've done that, click on the Mash tab and use the included calculator to determing any acid or base additions needed to dial in the desired pH. There are plenty videos and blog entries available at BeerSmith.com that explain how to do these things.

Keep in mind that systems and techniques can vary considerably from brewer to brewer, as can water and other ingredients. You'll need to adjust recipes to work with your system. If you've downloaded a recipe from BeerSmith, using the Scale Recipe function will do most of the adjustments for you as long as the author of the recipe has entered accurate information.

Once you've added all of the other ingredients on the design tab, selected and made necessary adjustments to your mash profile and selected the base water profile, click on the water tab and select your target style profile. The software will calculate and break down the brewing salt additions between the mash and the sparge. Once you've done that, click on the Mash tab and use the included calculator to determing any acid or base additions needed to dial in the desired pH. There are plenty videos and blog entries available at BeerSmith.com that explain how to do these things.

Keep in mind that systems and techniques can vary considerably from brewer to brewer, as can water and other ingredients. You'll need to adjust recipes to work with your system. If you've downloaded a recipe from BeerSmith, using the Scale Recipe function will do most of the adjustments for you as long as the author of the recipe has entered accurate information.
Thanks for the reply Bob,
I apparently had something wrong in my equipment profile and that is why I wasn't getting anything for mash additions; only sparge.
The indicated salt additions are for the quantities of water shown here ... correct?
I am not setup to measure out an exact amount of water for strike water and sparge water. Is there a way to have 10 gallons available in my hot water kettle (HLT) and have it treated for the Mash and likewise for the Sparge?

1714345753747.png

How to Secure #1 on ProductHunt: DO’s and DON'Ts / Experiencefrom PitchBob – AI Pitch DeckGenerator & Founders Co-Pilot ..write some good comments

ChatGPT
DO:
  1. Craft a compelling and concise pitch that clearly communicates the value proposition of your product.
  2. Utilize high-quality visuals and media to showcase your product effectively.
  3. Engage with the Product Hunt community by responding to comments and questions promptly.
  4. Leverage your existing network to drive initial traction and upvotes for your product.
  5. Offer exclusive deals or discounts for Product Hunt users to incentivize engagement and adoption.
DON'T:
  1. Spam the Product Hunt platform with multiple posts or irrelevant content.
  2. Neglect to optimize your product listing with relevant keywords and tags for better discoverability.
  3. Disregard feedback from users and potential customers; instead, use it to iterate and improve your product.
  4. Rely solely on self-promotion; instead, focus on providing value and solving a problem for your target audience.
  5. Forget to thank and acknowledge the Product Hunt community for their support and feedback throughout your launch process.
Experience:As a founder who has successfully secured the #1 spot on Product Hunt, I can attest to the importance of a well-crafted pitch, engaging with the community, and leveraging networks for initial traction. By following the DOs and avoiding the DON'Ts, you can significantly increase your chances of success on Product Hunt and generate valuable exposure for your product.

You
I am getting into the water profile part of Beer Smith. I am confused as to where you select where you add "X" amount of a given ingredient. In my Design tab, everything is shown in the sparge and nothing for the mash. I am using distilled water for this recipe.

ChatGPT
In BeerSmith, the water profile adjustments are typically made in the "Water" tab rather than the "Design" tab. Here's how you can adjust your water profile and specify additions like "X" amount of a given ingredient:
  1. Open your recipe in BeerSmith.
  2. Look for the "Water" tab, usually located alongside tabs like "Design," "Fermentables," "Hops," etc. If you don't see it, you may need to enable it in the view options.
  3. In the "Water" tab, you should see sections for "Mash Water" and "Sparge Water." Since you're using distilled water, you'll mainly focus on the "Mash Water" section.
  4. In the "Mash Water" section, you can adjust the water profile by adding various salts and minerals. You can specify the amount of each ingredient you want to add here.
  5. To add a specific amount of a given ingredient, such as gypsum, calcium chloride, or Epsom salt, you can click on the "+" button next to "Salts" or "Acids" and select the ingredient from the dropdown menu. Then, you can enter the amount you want to add in grams or teaspoons.
  6. Once you've added all the desired water adjustments, you can save your recipe, and BeerSmith will calculate the overall water profile based on your additions.
If you're still having trouble finding or using the "Water" tab or adding ingredients to adjust your water profile, you can refer to BeerSmith's documentation or tutorials for more detailed guidance. Additionally, there may be community forums or support resources where you can ask specific questions and get assistance from other BeerSmith users.
I am not sure if this was meant to be helpful, but it was not. Try leaving off the front end with your Do's and Don'ts. I don't think my post was that vague.

How to Secure #1 on ProductHunt: DO’s and DON'Ts / Experiencefrom PitchBob – AI Pitch DeckGenerator & Founders Co-Pilot ..write some good comments

ChatGPT
DO:
  1. Craft a compelling and concise pitch that clearly communicates the value proposition of your product.
  2. Utilize high-quality visuals and media to showcase your product effectively.
  3. Engage with the Product Hunt community by responding to comments and questions promptly.
  4. Leverage your existing network to drive initial traction and upvotes for your product.
  5. Offer exclusive deals or discounts for Product Hunt users to incentivize engagement and adoption.
DON'T:
  1. Spam the Product Hunt platform with multiple posts or irrelevant content.
  2. Neglect to optimize your product listing with relevant keywords and tags for better discoverability.
  3. Disregard feedback from users and potential customers; instead, use it to iterate and improve your product.
  4. Rely solely on self-promotion; instead, focus on providing value and solving a problem for your target audience.
  5. Forget to thank and acknowledge the Product Hunt community for their support and feedback throughout your launch process.
Experience:As a founder who has successfully secured the #1 spot on Product Hunt, I can attest to the importance of a well-crafted pitch, engaging with the community, and leveraging networks for initial traction. By following the DOs and avoiding the DON'Ts, you can significantly increase your chances of success on Product Hunt and generate valuable exposure for your product.

You

ChatGPT
In BeerSmith, the water profile adjustments are typically made in the "Water" tab rather than the "Design" tab. Here's how you can adjust your water profile and specify additions like "X" amount of a given ingredient:
  1. Open your recipe in BeerSmith.
  2. Look for the "Water" tab, usually located alongside tabs like "Design," "Fermentables," "Hops," etc. If you don't see it, you may need to enable it in the view options.
  3. In the "Water" tab, you should see sections for "Mash Water" and "Sparge Water." Since you're using distilled water, you'll mainly focus on the "Mash Water" section.
  4. In the "Mash Water" section, you can adjust the water profile by adding various salts and minerals. You can specify the amount of each ingredient you want to add here.
  5. To add a specific amount of a given ingredient, such as gypsum, calcium chloride, or Epsom salt, you can click on the "+" button next to "Salts" or "Acids" and select the ingredient from the dropdown menu. Then, you can enter the amount you want to add in grams or teaspoons.
  6. Once you've added all the desired water adjustments, you can save your recipe, and BeerSmith will calculate the overall water profile based on your additions.
If you're still having trouble finding or using the "Water" tab or adding ingredients to adjust your water profile, you can refer to BeerSmith's documentation or tutorials for more detailed guidance. Additionally, there may be community forums or support resources where you can ask specific questions and get assistance from other BeerSmith users.

@methew06 Your incoherrent ChatGPT bullsh!it is not helpful. Either provide an organic and useful response to the OPs question or don't post at all. And if this is all you can offer the forum then leave. We are getting sick and tired of this AI bullsh!t.

Last edited:
@methew06 Your incoherrent ChatGPT bullsh!it is not helpful. Either provide an organic and useful response to the OPs question or don't post at all. And if this is all you an offer the forum then leave. We are getting sick and tired of this AI bullsh!t.
Well said …

Back