• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile adjustments listed are per "what volume"?

Niel

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is covered - I have been looking, but no luck. I need to add Gypsum, Epsom Salt, etc. to my distilled H2O targeting a Hoppy Pale Ale profile. System says 1.2g of Gypsum. Per gallon? Per total volume of H2O needed?

Thanks -

If you're doing a full volume mash, whether BIAB or no sparge, it would mean the total amount of water. You can also treat the entire water volume even if you're sparging, but many brewers only treat their strike water. Either way works. Brewing salt additions to sparge water or the boil are a lot like salt and pepper added to food on your plate.

Thanks for the reply Bob -

Seems like next to nothing being added at 1.2g in 8+ gallons of water. Plus, if I change the batch size in the tool, the additions do not change - I'm just confused when I think about it. I appreciate your input!

Niel

I'm assuming you're using the integrated water tool and not the stand-alone tool.
If so, the addition will be designated as Mash or Sparge, so won't be for the total volume of water, unless you've checked the "BIAB Mash with full boil" box in the mash profile. If you change the batch size without altering the mash profile the mash volume won't change. The difference in volume will be reflected in the sparge volume, assuming you didn't check the BIAB box I previously mentioned.

Keep in mind that BeerSmith relies heavily on user inputs for all calculations. Unless you've set up an equipment profile and mash profile that matches your equipment and process, the calculated values will be skewed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bob -

Seems like next to nothing being added at 1.2g in 8+ gallons of water. Plus, if I change the batch size in the tool, the additions do not change - I'm just confused when I think about it. I appreciate your input!

Niel

The addition amounts may seem pretty small, but consider that you are looking at addition rates of the ions in the parts per million range. It does not take a lot of gypsum to raise the concentration of Calcium up to the ~100 ppm range.

For me, basic water treatment is about fixing mash pH and good enzyme activity. So I only treat strike water/mash liquor. Untreated hot tap water for sparging. I can't say I've noticed a difference with full-volume mashing, when total water gets treatment. All salts, including CaCO3 (chalk), dissolve readily in the mash liquor, but not so well in water. I think I just find it an unnecessary chore to treat two volumes of water. A little calcium (~1/2 tsp, CaCl2 or CaSO4, for a standard batch) added to the boil is sometimes a good idea, if you're not happy hot break or fermentation performance, especially yeast flocculation.

Back