• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Opinions please, something I'd like to try.

SeacoastBrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I figure it's time to try my own recipes rather than someone else's and you guys are so good at this, I was wondering if I could get come feedback on this recipe. I really value constructive input so thank you tremendously in advance.

Drumroll please............

El Galcitra Blondish Belgian IPA

Ingredients:

FERMENTABLES

• 5.5 lb Maris Otter malt
  • 5.0 lb Vienna malt
  • 1.0 lb CaraFoam malt
  • 1.0 lb Melanoidin malt
  • 0.5 lb Flaked White Wheat
  • 0.25 lb Sprouted oats (rolled)
  • 1lb Honey (In Florida we use Orange blossom)
HOPS
  • 0.5 oz (14 g) Magnum hops, 12% a.a. (60 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (20 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (10 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (5 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (hop stand)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (hop stand)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (dry hop)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) El Dorado, 14% a.a. (dry hop)

YEAST

Abbaye Belgian Style Ale Yeast – Lallemand Dry

Calc Spec's:

Yield: 6 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.5
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 6.7
IBU: 75
SRM: 7.1
Efficiency: 80%

Directions:

Mash flaked wheat and oats only at 122°F for 20 minutes in 5 gallons of water. Increase mash temperature to 158°, dough-in the remainder of the grain bill and add your first hop addition. Maintain mash temperature at 148° for 60 minutes. Mashout at 167°F for 10 minutes. Bring wort to a boil for 60 minutes. After the 60 minute boil turn off the heat, remove the previous hop additions and add the hop stand additions and steep for 20 minutes. After the 20 minute steep, bring your remaining volume up to 6 gallons using 33° water and further chill your wort to 74°. Pitch your yeast. Ferment at 74°F. When primary fermentation is finished, add the dry hop additions for 5 days. Remove dry hops, allow 21 days maturation at 65°, cold crash for 4 days at 33°. Keg or bottle using your preferred method to achieve ~2.2 volumes of carbonation.

I figure it's time to try my own recipes rather than someone else's and you guys are so good at this, I was wondering if I could get come feedback on this recipe. I really value constructive input so thank you tremendously in advance.

Drumroll please............

El Galcitra Blondish Belgian IPA

Ingredients:

FERMENTABLES

• 5.5 lb Maris Otter malt
  • 5.0 lb Vienna malt
  • 1.0 lb CaraFoam malt
  • 1.0 lb Melanoidin malt
  • 0.5 lb Flaked White Wheat
  • 0.25 lb Sprouted oats (rolled)
  • 1lb Honey (In Florida we use Orange blossom)
HOPS
  • 0.5 oz (14 g) Magnum hops, 12% a.a. (60 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (20 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (10 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (5 min)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (hop stand)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Galaxy hops, 14% a.a. (hop stand)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (dry hop)
  • 1.0 oz (28 g) El Dorado, 14% a.a. (dry hop)

YEAST

Abbaye Belgian Style Ale Yeast – Lallemand Dry

Calc Spec's:

Yield: 6 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.5
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 6.7
IBU: 75
SRM: 7.1
Efficiency: 80%

Directions:

Mash flaked wheat and oats only at 122°F for 20 minutes in 5 gallons of water. Increase mash temperature to 158°, dough-in the remainder of the grain bill and add your first hop addition. Maintain mash temperature at 148° for 60 minutes. Mashout at 167°F for 10 minutes. Bring wort to a boil for 60 minutes. After the 60 minute boil turn off the heat, remove the previous hop additions and add the hop stand additions and steep for 20 minutes. After the 20 minute steep, bring your remaining volume up to 6 gallons using 33° water and further chill your wort to 74°. Pitch your yeast. Ferment at 74°F. When primary fermentation is finished, add the dry hop additions for 5 days. Remove dry hops concrete repair Utah, allow 21 days maturation at 65°, cold crash for 4 days at 33°. Keg or bottle using your preferred method to achieve ~2.2 volumes of carbonation.
El Galcitra Blondish Belgian IPA looks like a delightful and complex recipe! It's great that you're stepping into creating your own recipes. Here are some constructive inputs and considerations for your recipe:

1. Malt Bill: The combination of Maris Otter, Vienna, CaraFoam, Melanoidin, Flaked White Wheat, and Sprouted oats brings a rich and diverse malt profile, which is promising for a Belgian IPA.
  2. Honey Addition: Using Orange blossom honey is an intriguing addition that could add a unique flavor and aroma to the beer. Just make sure to add the honey during the boil to ensure proper fermentation and to avoid the risk of infection.
  3. Hop Selection: Citra, Galaxy, and El Dorado hops are fantastic choices for creating a flavorful and aromatic IPA. Their tropical and citrusy notes should complement the malt profile nicely.
  4. IBU: The calculated IBU of 75 suggests a moderately bitter beer, which aligns well with the IPA style.
  5. Yeast: The Abbaye Belgian Style Ale Yeast should contribute to the beer's characteristic Belgian flavors, including fruity esters and spicy phenolics.
  6. Mashing: The initial low-temperature mash for the flaked wheat and oats (protein rest) followed by the main mash at 148°F is a good approach to improve the beer's body and head retention.
  7. Hop Stand: The hop stand with Citra and Galaxy hops after the boil is an excellent technique for maximizing aroma and flavor extraction without excessive bitterness.
  8. Dry Hop: The dry hop additions with Citra and El Dorado hops are sure to enhance the beer's aroma and overall hop character.
  9. Fermentation: Maintaining a fermentation temperature of 74°F with the Abbaye yeast should produce desirable Belgian yeast flavors and esters.
  10. Maturation: A 21-day maturation period at 65°F will allow the flavors to mellow and harmonize, resulting in a more balanced and refined beer.
  11. Carbonation: Targeting ~2.2 volumes of carbonation should give the beer a pleasant level of effervescence, suitable for the style.
Overall, your El Galcitra Blondish Belgian IPA recipe appears to be well thought-out and has a compelling combination of ingredients. Of course, the actual taste and outcome will depend on your execution and personal preferences. Remember to take detailed notes during the brewing process to evaluate and adjust future batches if needed. Enjoy the brewing journey, and cheers to crafting your own unique beer!

Back