• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oatmeal Stout and finished gravity question

cdory1952

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've brewed this recipe before and had excellent results, this time, I brewed another 5-batch, all-grain and original gravity target was 1.055. My pre-boil measured 1.050, at my first transfer into my carboy, I measured again, the gravity was now 1.040. The recipes recommended final gravity is 1.021. The fermentation process was very slow, not a lot of active bubbling, however, the nice brown foam indicated the fermentation had taken place. No change in gravity from 1.040, I put an aerator in for about 2- hours and saw a little more activity. Warming jacket set at 72° helped right of the get-go too, I forgot to mention. My question is, how do I get the final gravity down to where it needs to be, I still have time, I brewed Sept 29 and today is Oct 8. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it isn't a measurement problem? I would double check with a glass hydrometer if you are using some other method. I've had weird readings with refractometers and with Tilt type hydrometers but a traditional glass hydrometer is usually pretty solid. Does your drop in gravity after boil make sense? It would have to go up as you boil off water wouldn't it unless you added water at some point.

Yes... you're on the right track. I did use a refractometer this time and went by that. I will admit that after that first fermentation stage, and checking the readings, I did add about a quart of unfermented beer that was over my 5-gallon post-boil. I was worried about the readings and after adding that last quart, it of course started a second ferment. Please tell me I'm not completely stupid for doing this, there was room in the carboy I had a little extra, and now I'm thinking I must have made a major screw-up.

When you last checked the gravity, did you use a hydrometer or a refractometer?
I used a refractometer. How bad did I screw up Oginme? Recoverable, I still plan ( hope) to bottle but need a guiding hand.

Yes... you're on the right track. I did use a refractometer this time and went by that. I will admit that after that first fermentation stage, and checking the readings, I did add about a quart of unfermented beer that was over my 5-gallon post-boil. I was worried about the readings and after adding that last quart, it of course started a second ferment. Please tell me I'm not completely stupid for doing this, there was room in the carboy I had a little extra, and now I'm thinking I must have made a major screw-up.
If its visibly fermenting, you are making beer. I would get a simple glass hydrometer and double check your readings. When it is done visibly fermenting check it with a hydrometer and check again a couple of days later to confirm its done. Taste it too. If it tastes like beer, it is beer. I used a refractometer for a few years but gave up on it as I could get bad readings. Aerated sample, cloudy sample, temperature dependent etc. My 2 cents!

I used a refractometer. How bad did I screw up Oginme? Recoverable, I still plan ( hope) to bottle but need a guiding hand.
A refractometer is pretty much useless after the wort starts fermenting. You can use the OG to calculate the actual gravity from the refractometer reading and the separate gravity tool in BeerSmith does have that built in. That will compensate for the refraction and density of the alcohol which is what makes the direct refractometer reading incorrect for fermenting or fermented beer.

Thank you stevebonny and Oginme, there may be hope for me yet! Yes, I have a good hydrometer and will keep at it.

Thank you stevebonny and Oginme, there may be hope for me yet! Yes, I have a good hydrometer and will keep at it.
Plenty can go wrong when you are making beer! It doesn't always come out perfectly to plan but I always keep going and see what I get. Usually it comes out pretty decent, even if not quite what I was going for.

Back