• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie and missed numbers in the boil

jaydiggily

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Good morning fellow brewers.
I've just started getting into all grain brewing. I've taken some advice to do the same very basic recipe 3 times in a row to "work out" the equipment and the process etc. So far I'm learning a lot. I'm doing a pale ale using only pale ale malt and citra hops.

My most recent batch I made two mistakes. 1. I used the wrong quantity of grain (this is a brain fart I take full responsibility for), and 2. I put too much water in (this is a brain fart I take full responsibility for). The result ended up in a very low SG after the boil. Which, if my understanding is correct, will result in less flavour and less ABV. Due to family and children commitments, I threw it into hot cubes to "deal with later".

Later is here. I'm not expecting this to come out amazing. I figure I have three options, but I'm not sure if they are options or just something I made up. Should I:
  • A. Throw it back in the boiler to boil off excess water and hope to get the SG up to a better number
  • B. Throw it in the fermenter and drink a flavourless and weak excuse of second brew ever
  • C. Pour it down the drain and start again
And for future brews, should I take SG readings to determine if the boil has ended? or just work off time?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Don't do C - what a waste of energy and money! You could do A if you have lots of time available to boil off water into steam. I would suggest trying B and seeing how it turns out. It might not be as bad as you expect. Since you didn't give us any numbers it is hard to tell.

For the future, I suggest taking SG readings at the end of the mash and then volume and SG readings at the end of your boil - either before or after chilling. Once you have a handle on your mash efficiency and your boiloff amounts you should be able to hit your targets pretty accurately (assuming you measure and add the right amounts of grain and water!)

--GF

I've made a few errors with water volume and made a significantly weaker beer than planned - all of them have tasted pretty good!

Another option is to add some dry or liquid malt or even a little cane sugar to the boil to bump it up a bit.

What are you getting for OG gravity readings? 1030 or 1035 can still be great beer

There is a very useful tool in Beersmith that I did not take advantage of early on and I made some of those same mistakes. Now for every brew day I print out the brew steps and check them off as each is completed. Use this tool and it will help eliminate those brain farts.

I've made a few errors with water volume and made a significantly weaker beer than planned - all of them have tasted pretty good!

Another option is to add some dry or liquid malt or even a little cane sugar to the boil to bump it up a bit.

What are you getting for OG gravity readings? 1030 or 1035 can still be great beer
Thanks for the prompt response Steve and @GigaFemto . My numbers were 1.035 post mash. 1.028 post boil. When I measured these I made sure the sample was at 20C before using the hydrometer.

There is a very useful tool in Beersmith that I did not take advantage of early on and I made some of those same mistakes. Now for every brew day I print out the brew steps and check them off as each is completed. Use this tool and it will help eliminate those brain farts.
Hi Kevin. I did find this and was doing that however, my brain fart was that I changed the recipe after I ordered my grain (I was playing around). I didn't weigh the grain, I assumed it was as per my recipe (and my order). But I had changed the brew volume which required more grain and forgot to order more grain. That's all part of this early learning though!

Thanks for the prompt response Steve and @GigaFemto . My numbers were 1.035 post mash. 1.028 post boil. When I measured these I made sure the sample was at 20C before using the hydrometer.
I suspect your numbers are around the wrong way? 1.028 post mash and 1.035 post boil? Else something has happened with your measurements. The boil should concentrate the wort.

You can have a great little light beer at 1.035. Ferment away!

Yeah I was confused by your numbers. Is the 1035 before topping up to full volume? 1028 is pretty low for post boil, I'd probably add some dme if you have it. 1035 at post boil is typical for British session ales. Your other option if it comes out not great is to blend it with a stronger beer in your glass. No batch goes down the drain!

Hi Kevin. I did find this and was doing that however, my brain fart was that I changed the recipe after I ordered my grain (I was playing around). I didn't weigh the grain, I assumed it was as per my recipe (and my order). But I had changed the brew volume which required more grain and forgot to order more grain. That's all part of this early learning though!
That is why I wait until brew day before printing the brew steps.

Thanks everyone for the help. I used extract kits and the SG came up. It's a delectable 4.8% now. Slightly malty but definitely drinkable.

Back