• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Juice volume units and precision

bougie1st

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I have just started my first cider using store-bought juice. I have 18L apple juice and 3.4L pear juice (came in 850mL containers)

When trying to enter this in BS3, it seems unable to cope with the decimal addition. Each time I adjust the pear juice to 3.4L, it shows as only 3L, yet the volume on the tab is correct (3.4L) - see screenshot attached.

I cannot find a setting in the options>units to adjust this.

Is there a way to set this correctly?

Attachments

• Apple Cider v1.bsmx
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Cider Volume.png
    Cider Volume.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 5
The BSMX file shows the correct volumes. Is there some reason you prefer the metric units as in the png file?

When I downloaded your recipe it displayed properly in my version. Check your units settings:
Options -->Units and make sure precision is set to 2 if liters are selected for volume units. You should then see 3.40 liters.

--GF

The BSMX file shows the correct volumes. Is there some reason you prefer the metric units as in the png file?
I am Australian and thus use metric. The only things that I don't use are for some of the US dominant units that are sold as such here (eg SRM vs EBC)

Last edited:
When I downloaded your recipe it displayed properly in my version. Check your units settings:
Options -->Units and make sure precision is set to 2 if liters are selected for volume units. You should then see 3.40 liters.

--GF
Thanks, GF. I have the precision set to 2. Attached is a screenshot of the unit settings

That's what I can't figure out. The precision works for my other recipes. And in the sessions tab, it displays correctly (albeit, only the total of 21.4L). It seems to only be in the amount column on the design tab that it is incorrect (and if I open the ingredient itself to edit it)

Also of note, in the original screenshot of the design page, the inventory column is in grams for the juices. I would have expected these to also be in litres

Attachments

• Units settings.png
    Units settings.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 2
I am Australian and thus use metric. The only things that I don't use are for some of the US dominant units that are sold as such here (eg SRM vs EBC)
OK. It does help if you enter a location, even just country, in your profile.

Precision is set to 2 for batch vol. and yeast starter vol. but not mash vol. Hopefully, changing the mash vol. precision will fix the problem.

I was able to reproduce your display on my system by selecting, as you did, weight units gram with precision zero. When I set weight units to kg with precision 2, I got a proper display of 3.40 liters. I guess BeerSmith is expecting fermentables to be listed by weight, which is true for grains, and not by volume the way juices are.

--GF

I was able to reproduce your display on my system by selecting, as you did, weight units gram with precision zero. When I set weight units to kg with precision 2, I got a proper display of 3.40 liters. I guess BeerSmith is expecting fermentables to be listed by weight, which is true for grains, and not by volume the way juices are.

--GF
Thanks for spotting that, GF. I have changed now.

Maybe Brad could look at correcting that issue in the future - it doesn't make sense, especially seeing that the juices are entered as a volume in the system, but it treats it as a weight.

I had the settings in grams so that I could have, for example, 125 grams, rather than 0.125 kg. The latter then causes whole kg to be displayed as 3.000, which seems excessive.

Back