• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU Calculations are WAY OFF since upgrade to BS3!

trevorcox85

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Very frustrating with the upgrade to BS3, I have been creating new recipes for the new brewery and brewhouse I am working on and the IBU calculations are way off! It's telling me that for a 20 hL batch, 2000 g of Magnum @ 14.2 % AA will give me approximately 46 IBU. That's twice as much as I would typically use to get in the 40+ IBU range and all my other recipes have confirmed that. Has anyone run into this issue at all on a large production brewing scale? I may have to switch software if I can't get this figured out.

I'm a homebrewer only, so might be way out with this.

Could it be related to the "Hop Utilisation and Whirlpool Options" section in the equipment profile? BS3 tries to calculate the IBU contribution of whirlpool additions. You can turn this on or off by checking/unchecking the "Estimate Boil Hop Util in Whirlpool" box.

Very frustrating with the upgrade to BS3, I have been creating new recipes for the new brewery and brewhouse I am working on and the IBU calculations are way off! It's telling me that for a 20 hL batch, 2000 g of Magnum @ 14.2 % AA will give me approximately 46 IBU. That's twice as much as I would typically use to get in the 40+ IBU range and all my other recipes have confirmed that garage flooring glendale. Has anyone run into this issue at all on a large production brewing scale? I may have to switch software if I can't get this figured out.
  1. Verify Data Inputs: Double-check all the data inputs, including batch size, hop utilization, and AA% for the Magnum hops. Small errors in these values can lead to significant differences in IBU calculations.
  2. Check Software Settings: Review the software settings related to hop calculations and IBU estimation. Sometimes, upgrades can reset settings or introduce new features that affect the calculations.
  3. Check for Software Updates: Check if there are any updates or patches available for the brewing software. Software updates often address bugs and issues, and installing the latest version may resolve the IBU calculation problem.
  4. Cross-Check with Other Tools: Use alternative brewing software or online calculators to compare the IBU calculations for your recipe. This can help confirm if the issue is specific to the software or if there might be a problem with the recipe itself.
  5. Seek Support from Software Provider: Reach out to the support team of the brewing software you are using. They should be able to assist you in troubleshooting the issue and provide guidance on how to resolve it.
  6. Consult with Brewing Community: Engage with the brewing community, forums, or social media groups. Others might have encountered similar issues with the software after the upgrade and can share their experiences or potential solutions.
  7. Consider Expert Consultation: If the issue persists, consider seeking advice from professional brewers or brewing consultants who may have experience with the specific software and its quirks.

Back