• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I use the version tab on recipes?

HighMesaBrewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I want to begin keeping track of the changes I make to future batches of a recipe. Can I use the version tab to do this? If so, how? If I can't use the version tab, what do I need to do to track future batches of a recipe?

Hi,
What I do is brew a recipe, keep track of it in the recipe notes and "actuals" fields, then use the Copy to Brew Log button to save a copy of the recipe
to my brew log. Next time I brew I will bump the version number and brew date to match the new date and record again, then copy to brew log.

This way my brew log folder contains a list of all recipes "as brewed" and has dates and version numbers.

Cheers!

Brad

I just rename the recipe with v1, v2 etc in the name. Each version is saved as a new recipe.

Formulation takes place in the My Recipes area. When the recipe is tweaked and ready to brew the recipe is copied into the Brew Sessions folder. Once brewed the receipe in the Brew Sessions folder is renamed to include the date brewed at the beginning of the brew name.

Hi,
What I do is brew a recipe, keep track of it in the recipe notes and "actuals" fields, then use the Copy to Brew Log button to save a copy of the recipe
to my brew log. Next time I brew I will bump the version number and brew date to match the new date and record again, then copy to brew log.

This way my brew log folder contains a list of all recipes "as brewed" and has dates and version numbers.

Cheers!

Brad

Thanks, Brad. This is good advice. I just tried it and it will be very helpful moving forward.

Just so you know, the recipe must be local for the Copy to Brew Log button to show up. Select the recipe in the My Recipes folder, not from within the opened recipe.
I kept recipes in the cloud so I could work on them on my desktop and then use them from my laptop on Brewday. However, I could not find the Copy to Brew Log button! Now, I keep the recipe local and copy it to the cloud to use on my laptop on BrewDay.

Using the model tab on recipes can be a useful way to preserve the music of adjustments you make to future batches. Here's how you can use it:

1. Open the recipe you prefer to track in your recipe administration machine or software.

2. Look for a "version" or "history" tab or choice inside the software.

3. When you make adjustments to a recipe for a future batch, such as adjusting ingredient portions or including new steps, create a new model of the recipe.

4. In the model tab, you can generally add notes or feedback to document the modifications you've made. This should encompass small print about ingredient substitutions, changes to cooking times, or any different modifications.

5. Save the new model of the recipe so you have a document of the adjustments you've made for future reference.

If your recipe administration software program does not have a model tab or option, you can nonetheless tune adjustments manually by creating a new record or spreadsheet for every model of the recipe. Make certain to encompass important points about the modifications you have made, such as ingredient changes or new steps, so you can effortlessly reference them in the future.

By using the model tab or manually monitoring changes, you can keep track of the evolution of your recipes and make knowledgeable choices about future batches.

Hi,

Cheers!

Brad
How would you track recipe versions if you use beersmithrecipes.com?

Back