• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Exporting brewing and fermentation data

BarleyLab

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I work in a research environment where I need to not only track brewing and fermentation data, but also export and compile it for reports to others. Does BeerSmith have an option for exporting all the brew day and fermentation data to Excel or .csv format?

Not really. You can export the fermentation data to CSV using the button below the Fermentation Readings on the session tab. You can export the recipe to an XML file which can be imported to Excel and access some, but not all of the values listed in BeerSmith (Target pH is missing, among others). The BSMX file is itself a variant of XML and you might be able to use some software to import values from it directly. It also does not contain all the values displayed in BeerSmith. For example, it lists the boiloff rate and the pre-boil volume, but the Boil Off quantity is calculated in the program and does not appear in the recipe file. Of course it is easy for you to calculate it yourself from the values that are in the file.

--GF

Upvote 0
Not really. You can export the fermentation data to CSV using the button below the Fermentation Readings on the session tab. You can export the recipe to an XML file which can be imported to Excel and access some, but not all of the values listed in BeerSmith (Target pH is missing, among others). The BSMX file is itself a variant of XML and you might be able to use some software to import values from it directly. It also does not contain all the values displayed in BeerSmith. For example, it lists the boiloff rate and the pre-boil volume, but the Boil Off quantity is calculated in the program and does not appear in the recipe file. Of course it is easy for you to calculate it yourself from the values that are in the file.

--GF
Thanks for the reply, this is helpful. Is it possible to export the data from BeerSmith as a pdf? I could scrape a pdf to Excel to then collect and manipulate the data.

Upvote 0
You can print a recipe or a custom report and use a pdf generator (e.g. Microsoft Print to PDF) instead of a printer for the output. Custom reports may or may not have all the information you want (see http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,1465.msg5862.html#msg5862 1/). You would have to experiment with them to see. I gave up on them a few years ago in favor of an XML export, so I can't be of much more help there.

--GF

Upvote 0
Back