• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cook time for a 10 lb brisket?

xuledywo

Brewer
Reaction score
I've made a few briskets before, but only in the 4-5 lb range. An overly generous friend has recently given me a couple of 10 lb briskets , and I'm trying to plan a little BBQ to celebrate. I'll be using my WSM, and I usually run it in the 240-250 range. At that temp, can anyone give me a ballpark cooking time for a 10 lb brisket? Also, assuming that I do want to foil it (and I do), any advice on when to foil it? Should I go by time or internal temp? Thanks!

I cook on a WSM as well. I usually cook full packer brisket at 350°F for 2 hrs, wrap it in foil for 2 hrs, then back on unwrapped for 1 hr.

I don't know what a "WSM" is. I use a Traeger pellet smoker. You might want to check out Aaron Franklin's website. His book has detailed information on brisket and other BBQ. My recollection is that Franklin says a properly trimmed, packer cut brisket (10-12 lbs.) takes about 12 hours at 250° F.

Traeger's website says 9 hours+20 minutes. https://www.traeger.com/recipes/traeger-brisket

Back