• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting Estimated Original Gravity

swalker25

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the estimated original gravity as a program wide or profile setting?

My gravity gain from pre-boil to post boil is always the same for a 60 minute boil, 6 points. But BeerSmith always has an incorrect estimated original gravity for any recipe I create. My pre-boil and post boil volumes are always accurate though, as is my pre-boil/post mash gravity.

It seems the higher my estimated pre-boil gravity, the bigger the gravity gain becomes for the estimated original gravity, even though my boil rate off doesn't change in the program. And in real world experience, I only see a difference in gravity gain from pre-boil to post-boil when my boil off rate changes, not when my pre-boil gravity changes.

BeerSmith Example:

Recipe 1:

Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Boil Off Rate: .8 gallons per hour
Est. Pre-boil: 1.069
Est. OG: 1.080
Boil Gravity Gain: .11 points

Recipe 2:

Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Boil Off Rate: .8 gallons per hour
Est. Pre-boil: 1.048
Est. OG: 1.055
Boil Gravity Gain: .07 points

If my boil time and boil off rate are consistent, why is the boil gravity gain changing? If I could set that number to constant number, that would be optimal.

Have you created an equipment profile that represents your equipment, process and your volume losses (including boiloff) during the process? BeerSmith relies heavily on user inputs in order to perform its calculations. More accurate inputs will result in more accurate estimates.

As to the greater gravity gain in your first example, because the boiloff reduces the volume by a percentage, the gravity gain will also be a percentage of the pre boil gravity so higher gravity beers will have a greater gain.

you can set up multiple equipment profiles for different scenarios (i.e. courser vs finer mill gap settings, 30 min vs 60 boil time, BIAB vs three vessel system, etc)

Last edited:
The best way to change your estimate of OG is to change your brewhouse efficiency in the equipment profile as mentioned above. And yes you can have multiple profiles if you wish.

Back