• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid Calculation Error?

theNormanCanuck

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Beersmith seems to be having a problem calculating my acid addition. I have input the values by putting the "unadjusted ph" from above into the "measured ph" field. I then add the recommended acid amount but the resulting "adjusted mash ph" does not match the "target ph". The only thing I could think of was the acid concentration wasn't correct, but it was. I'm attaching a screenshot just incase something is glaringly obvious.Untitled.png

Water tools are meant to get you into the ball park. Variations in grains and water are going to happen making it virtually impossible for the models to be spot on. A difference of .03 is better than I expect from most any water tool. If you want actual pH instead of an estimate, I'd suggest a well calibrated quality pH meter.

Last edited:
Adding to what Bob357 has said, .03 pH units is far more accurate than most inexpensive pH meters can accurately measure. Given the variability of contribution to pH in the malts, I figure that if I measure within a tenth (0.1) then I am doing pretty well.

Adding to what Bob357 has said, .03 pH units is far more accurate than most inexpensive pH meters can accurately measure. Given the variability of contribution to pH in the malts, I figure that if I measure within a tenth (0.1) then I am doing pretty well.
Where the heck you been hiding Oginme? Haven't seen you lately.

Let me try to clarify my concern. I am not mentioning anything regarding brew day, no pH meters, no grains, just numbers in a computer. This is all theoretical.
I assume that the software's goal is to make the two numbers in the target and adjusted fields equal. But because it is not getting the right answer from it's own calculation I'm a bit concerned. Dropping the acid amount .3ml hits the target. Not that I can measure the liquid that accurately.
I know that the pH can live in a reasonable range. Hell I don't even own a pH meter lol. Just noticed something fishy and I'm hoping the forum can shed some light.

Back