• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using Glucoamylase to re-start Fermentation

Chris in SC

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed 5G of a big belgian ale (11% ABV). As designed - it stopped fermenting around 1.032 SG. I added 1 tsp of Glucoamylase to see if it would re-start fermenting in an attempt to get it to be a bit less sweet - target was to get it down to about 1.018. It quickly retsarted fermenting, and in about 12 hours had dropped below 1.020. I cold crashed and stablized using Pottasium Sorbate and Meta K. I then left it for 7 weeks to bulk age at room temp. Rock solid at 1.018. My question - once you add the Glucoamylase does it keep working no matter what you do to stop the yeast? Did all of the complex sugars continue to break down into fementable sugars? I usually would bottle condition a beer like this using CBC-1 and some corn sugar - I am concerned that the CBC-1 will ferment the residual sugars in the beer plus any corns sugar I might add. Anyone know what to expect?

No, activity won't continue indefinitely. It's going to degrade and lose function over time, like any enzyme not being replenished. Especially if substrate levels are low (which they probably are now) and the enzyme molecules are "free" therefore more vulnerable to degradation. Monitor the gravity, but it's probably done most of what it was going to do. BUT, I recommend you test first using a few PET bottles to see how it conditions.

I am testing exactly like you suggest. Many thanks for the info. Do you know if you adjust the initial dosing amount (down) - does that also olimit the effect of the enzyme?

Most likely, yes, it's going limit product overall, but it depends on the conditions. Less can be more, strangely, if adding less turns out to be closer to the optimum enzyme concentration, where more successful collisions occur between enzyme and substrate. It's very difficult predict and needs to be determined empirically under your conditions.

OK Thanks for the reply. I will report results back to this thread....

I brewed 5G of a big belgian ale (11% ABV). As designed - it stopped fermenting around 1.032 SG. I added 1 tsp of Glucoamylase to see if it would re-start fermenting in an attempt to get it to be a bit less sweet - target was to get it down to about 1.018. It quickly retsarted fermenting, and in about 12 hours had dropped below 1.020. I cold crashed and stablized using Pottasium Sorbate and Meta K. I then left it for 7 weeks to bulk age at room temp. Rock solid at 1.018. My question - once you add the Glucoamylase does it keep working no matter what you do to stop the yeast? Did all of the complex sugars continue to break down into fementable sugars and Summer Waves P1001030A [10/28] Pool maintenance drainage? I usually would bottle condition a beer like this using CBC-1 and some corn sugar - I am concerned that the CBC-1 will ferment the residual sugars in the beer plus any corns sugar I might add. Anyone know what to expect?
My fermentation was stuck (same hydrometer reading for several days) at 1.018-20 so I added amylase enzyme, which is supposed to aid in restarting stuck fermentation. My question is: how long does it take? I can see there is activity (lid bulges up in fermenter) but after two days there's only a minor change in gravity (maybe 0.001 or 0.002?) Tried tasting some of the beer after taking a hydrometer reading and it tastes like... beer with baking soda added! So I guess it's in the process of doing its thing.

I added glucoamylase to my stout to make it thicker and richer. It worked

My fermentation was stuck (same hydrometer reading for several days) at 1.018-20 so I added amylase enzyme, which is supposed to aid in restarting stuck fermentation. My question is: how long does it take? I can see there is activity (lid bulges up in fermenter) but after two days there's only a minor change in gravity (maybe 0.001 or 0.002?) Tried tasting some of the beer after taking a hydrometer reading and it tastes like... beer with baking soda added! So I guess it's in the process of doing its thing.
thats great!

Back