• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sterilization what do you do?

UselessBrewing said:
I soak the bottle caps in it before capping also just for insurance.

Cheers
Preston

Preston - Are you using OxyCaps? If you are, and want the oxygen scavenging benefits, don't soak the caps very long before bottling. They are activated when they come into contact with liquid.

Darin

I am really confused as to why anyone uses anything OTHER than starsan and/or saniclean anymore.

It is the perfect sanitizer: extremely effective, no-rinse, lasts forever, works in 30 seconds, not poisonous, doesn't stain (except formica when left on it), works at any temperature, highly available, cheap, works on copper, stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, and rubber.

In most cases, I simply dip whatever I want sanitized into the solution and let it drain. As long as the surface stays wet for 30 seconds you are fine.

Preston - Are you using OxyCaps? If you are, and want the oxygen scavenging benefits, don't soak the caps very long before bottling. They are activated when they come into contact with liquid.

Darin

I don't recall exactly where I heard this but the producer of those caps indicates that it takes days/weeks for the reaction to complete. I believe there was an episode on basic brewing radio that reads a written response from the producer but I may be wrong about this.

I heard this on Basic Brewing Radio.  I spray some Star San on these in small batches.  Within 5 minutes they are on the bottle.

atarlecky said:

Darin

I don't recall exactly where I heard this but the producer of those caps indicates that it takes days/weeks for the reaction to complete. I believe there was an episode on basic brewing radio that reads a written response from the producer but I may be wrong about this.

No, I do not use oxycaps. I just don't see the need for the additional expense. I use the generic "Cheep" caps and have not had any issues with them.

Why have you had any issues?

Cheers
Preston

stadelman said:
+1 on Star San

Charley Talley  [...]  adding ammonia [...]..
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Finally I listened to the thing:
It's vinigar he adds to bleach.  His mix is  5 gallons water, 1 ounce  of 5.25% bleach, and 1 ounce of vinegar.
That he says gives you the right caustic adjustment to kill at 80 PPM of chlorine.  But today there are higher bleach concentrations such as Chlorox's 6% ultra  bleach  SO if you use it do the math to get 80 PPM
5.25% is 50,000 PPM chlorine.

in the recording at round 28:29 he  starts talking about Star San and  says it is an absolute Killer. That it kills Everything~!!
That it kills the Entire range of organisms: Gram positive and gram negative and yeasts and spores and bacteria - Everything. 

So according to Charlie Talley Star-San Kills Everything.  It's a sterilant then yes? .

I won't open that argument again, but one factor in "is it sterile" is whether it has a chance to stay sterile after the germs are zapped.  Band-Aids, for ex, are sealed in their little envelopes first, and then radiated by the pallet-full in their packaging.  The hermetically sealed package 'keeps' them sterile. 
We brewers have so much stuff out in the open air I think we're sanitary (and hopeful) at best.  But +1 on StarSan for being a great sanitizer and very easy to use. 

MaltLicker said:
I won't open that argument again,

Oh well, if people get all up about it maybe it's best not to.
How does the quarrel go?
Person A: "No~!! Bleach is the only way~!!"

Person B: "No~!!  Star San ~!!

Person C: "No the ONLY ways to be sure is  HOUSE FIRE ~!!?

Person D: "If you don't do it my way, you are ugly and your mum  dresses you funny~!!

As an interesting aside I'd pay the ticket price to see the house fire method. Especially if it's at night.

but one factor in "is it sterile" is whether it has a chance to stay sterile after the germs are zapped.

This is so very true.   I am guessing that the No Rinse character of Star San is of substantial help on that point cause so long as it's not washed away  or diluted it's  still effective  while the atmospheric organisms are frittering across the surfaces.
Once I got my head around the no rinse  aspect  that put my mind at rest.   I never had that level of comfort using bleach and boiled rinse water.

I'm designing my  Window-Air-Conditioner chilled  cold room   for my cellar. I'm contemplating using either UV lighting when the door is closed or maybe an Ozone generator to  keep the humidity loving bugs down. But for the kitchen, where I brew, I rely in the house hold HVAC with it's UV sterilizing filter and sub micron physical filter and routine hygiene.
The UV can be Leuxon  high energy Ultra violet  LEDS or I can get the  fluorescent types.

Star San works well, but it sterilizes NOTHING.

What it does do, is lower the pH of the environment(or surface) that it is used upon to the point where critters can't infect it.

Proper cleaning practices are the key.  No matter what you use, if the item is dirty, it is harder to sanitize.

Not that my way is best, etc. but I use bleach on anything not stainless steel, star san, on anything that is stainless.

In 5 years I haven't had an infection in a single batch of beer (that I didn't let loose, myself on purpose, that is)

Another good practice is to not mill in the brew house, and begin the mash in another room (i.e. when you dough in) so the grain dust doesn't settle on everything.. Once you dough in, you should not have anymore dust to worry about.  There are a lot of nasties that live in un-mashed grain.

Cleanliness is next to godliness........

+1 common sense and cleanliness.

I am an iodophor guy.  Cost, flexibility, performance lead me that way.

But I try to "keep it real" -"current" brew sanitation technology is all of 100-200 yrs old yet beer is 3000+

For me, I clean and sanitize after my session and before I use the equipment again.

oxi clean then Star san.  I was using bleach and ended up with a infection.

Carboys & Corny's - H20, PBW sometimes, Star San Always
Mash Tun - H20
Liquor Tank - H20
Keggle - H20, occasional PBW douche
Misc (funnels, hoses, etc) - Star San

VonMessa said:
Star San works well, but it sterilizes NOTHING.

What it does do, is lower the pH of the environment(or surface) that it is used upon to the point where critters can't infect it.

Have you listened to the recording from that link  ( http://cdn4.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3?nvb=20100105210914&nva=20100106211914&t=024b279c5390ec6a49b7b  )  where Charley Talley is talking about his product Star San?
Unless he's  lying, Star San is as effective as  Water, Bleach, & Vinegar.
( here is an older one: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/dwnldarchive03-19-06.mp3 )

It's a long dialog and takes some time and patience  because the guy seems never to get to the point, but get there he does.

Here is something he said that I found hard to swallow at first:
He said that Bleach does not kill and does not sanitize or sterilize.  He says that you must adjust the Caustic acid (hypochlorous acid) content with a little vinegar to get the proper solution for sterilization and provides the mix ration of Five gallons water and one Teaspoon of bleach and one teaspoon of Vinegar. He says this gives you 80 PPM Chlorine and the correct caustic adjustment.   He says that the manufacturers of bleach are all about denaturing chromataphores (making things white)  as opposed to sterilizing things. He claims that bleach makers don't adjust the caustic correctly. Adding a bit of vinegar brings the pH down to 8 where it's lethal to  organisms.  This, he claims, will kill on contact.  

Charlie Talley is a Chem Eng from 1968 who was in the commercial bleach business for some time  (Penwah Chemical Company ? making Purex brand bleach)

Here is my take on why bleach  in water kills even while Charlie Talley says it won't:  My water is acidic.  The acid in my water must make up the caustic adjustment in the bleach.

But he claims that Star San kills everything  too and is edible to boot once the solution titration is altered appropriately.
His contention is that it's all in the titration and resultant pH.

Mind you I'm not too keen on the distinction between sterilization and sanitization.
It seems a fuzzy distinction to me, but maybe I just have the wrong dictionary.
The Second link above has some guy insisting that STERILE is the absence of all life.
OK   That works for me. But what then do I get from Chlorine and hypochlorous acid or Star San?
The makes of Star San says it Kills spores, viruses and  gram neg and  gram positive all bacteria and others.
He says it's a stone  cold killer of everything.  Isn't that sterile?

((((as an interesting aside: Dictionaries are not a good place to find any "official" or "authoritative" definitions.  This is simply because in the U.S.A. there is no official language and hence, no authoritative source. So at best, a Dictionary is a lexicographer's effort at keeping up with colloquial usage and little more.))))

But I digress
Back to Sterilization and sanitization ( I still don't know the difference).
** If I use Oxy Clean (or Spic & Span) and water I will have cleansed it. But that's all.  
** If I put a thing in an autoclave ( and it does its job)  some will say that I sterilized the contents. But there are yeasts that can survice two autoclave cycles.
** If I flame a thing with a torch or alcohol flame  I'm pretty sure I sterilized it so long as it got red hot.
** If I use a bleach vinegar and water solution of the right PPM I will kill everything and  that's sterilization isn't it?
** If I use Star San the maker claims it kills everything. If this is true is not this the same as using bleach and vinegar in water?

Then the only difference between the flame and the chemical is that the flame reduces everything to carbon~??

Proper cleaning practices are the key.  No matter what you use, if the item is dirty, it is harder to sanitize.
Charley Talley agrees with this and even says that using bleach and getting no infections is largely the result of having  done a good job cleaning.

Not that my way is best, etc. but I use bleach on anything not stainless steel, star san, on anything that is stainless.
I always have done  it with chlorine too.  I am converting to Star San.  

Cleanliness is next to godliness........

A phrase that must have originated with the Trappist Monks.

I too dislike the constant debate of sterile vs sanitary.  We'd like sterile, and we settle for as sanitary as we can achieve. 

For our purposes (clean tasting beer), I thought one big issue with chlorine bleach is that we'd have to rinse off the bleach, either re-coating with potential germs in unclean tap water, or having to boil and store (and keep sanitary) some clean rinse water.  Effectiveness to Six Sigma aside, Stan San is easier to use and has no significant side effects or hassle factors.  Mix, dunk, shake, go. 

MaltLicker said:
I too dislike the constant debate of sterile vs sanitary.  We'd like sterile, and we settle for as sanitary as we can achieve. 

I also dislike  always saying "Charlie Tally says  . . . . "
It's like the man is the absolute all knowing authoritative source on killing bugs or some such.
But, from my perspective  the man is the one voice I know of who speaks from both specialized educvation and experience. So he is the one expert to whom I have any  access, even if it's only by way of his pod casts, writing  etc., so it's entirely passive on my part.
Maybe I'd feel better if his name didn't have so many "ie" sounds in it. 
"Charlie says, love my good & Plenty"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSlyoVTX3I&feature=PlayList&p=47B09F245DED610C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43

For our purposes (clean tasting beer), I thought one big issue with chlorine bleach is that we'd have to rinse off the bleach

Yah and how interesting is it that the guy with the annoying name  also says that one ounce of bleach and one ounce of vinegar in five gallons of water is a stone cold killer and is also no-rinse~?

I keep going back to that in my mind.
I have  in the past cherished the  attitude toward chlorine that more is better and too much is even better still.
So I'd make a cleaning solution that was so redolent with chlorine that it stung my eyes and felt slimy and was damn near impossible to rinse away.  Clearly that practice is serious overkill. 
And now with that sort of back drop I am  un-trusting of a mere, lousy, piffling, pathetic, little, itty bitty, ounce of chlorine in 5-gallons of water with a dash of acid.  But, Mister Good and Plenty says it's  the correct titration.

So according to the inventor of Star San  you can make your own No-rinse solution using Bleach, Vinegar, and water.
This is the  same man whom I am trusting  when he tells me that a lousy ounce of Star San in 5-gallons of water is  an effective ration and will kill everything.

I guess I'm trying to speak to my own weird  preconceived notions and how they set me up for the sales pitch so well that I'll prefer the purchased product over the same level of  Germicide  I can get for almost no cost, and both are no rinse.

It's sort of weird like one of those visual puzzles that can look like several different things depending on how you look at it.

Warning: I may stray a little off topic on this one, My apologies!
[soapbox]
We are guided and/or mislead by Good Marketing and word of mouth... The guy on TV looks like an honest guy therefore he must be. He speaks well and seems likable, and if that is true, He must know what he is talking about. Little did we know he has been in prison and is out on parole for who knows what...

The guy who I learned how to brew beer from used "X". He is a high school chemistry teacher, he must know what he is doing. or The guy who I learned how to brew beer from used "X". he has been brewing beer for "X" years. so he must know what he is doing.
When will there be truth in advertising, Probably never. Will this make me Stop Buying, or change my shopping habits, Probably not. We take what we can and learn from it, we move through life touching other peoples lives and taking a piece of them with us make use who we are.
[/soapbox] :)

IMO Charlie Knows! But our interpretation is and always will be "if a little is good, More is better". We as a society feel we have to pay for something in order for it to work. I use oxyclean and StarSan so I'm no different, however that does not mean I am wrong for doing so. This is merely my preference. I have used bleach and vinigar and PWB with success. But have settled on what I currently use.

Definitions of clean, sanitized, steril, make them what you want. Which reminds me of the cold water joke!

Brew Beer, Ponder Life, Meet Good Friends, Love Life, and for god's sake, Have fun doing it!

Cheers :)
Preston

I tried Star San on Monday for the first time... usually use B-T-F.  I used it for all my sterilization needs, transferring it from vessel to vessel.  I noticed, it foamed up badly after transferring... did I do something wrong?  The dosage used was what they recommended.  I unfortunately sterilized my carboy last.. there was so much foam, which wouldn't dry or come out, I had to rinse and re-sterilize using some B-T-F. 

Is this common?

JSherm

JSherm said:
I tried Star San on Monday for the first time... usually use B-T-F.  I used it for all my sterilization needs, transferring it from vessel to vessel.  I noticed, it foamed up badly after transferring... did I do something wrong?  The dosage used was what they recommended.  I unfortunately sterilized my carboy last.. there was so much foam, which wouldn't dry or come out, I had to rinse and re-sterilize using some B-T-F. 

Is this common?

JSherm
Don't fear the foam. StarSan Foams. This is normal. Leave the foam and don't worry about it. It wont hurt anything. There are multitudes of posts just like yours and every one of them say don't worry about it. Starsan is made from phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. Neither of which will harm your beer or anyone you care about.
Per the Five Star Chemicals web site:
Broad Spectrum Bactericide and Fungicide
Not Affected by Organic Materials
No Rinse Requirement When Used at 300 ppm
Accepted by U.S.D.A. as a General Sanitizer in all Departments

I wont brew without it or the foam.

Cheers
Preston

After reading much of this, I think I'm going to go the oxiclean and starsan route.  In a 32oz squirt bottle... how much starsan do you use to water?

-Ryan

Just follow the directions on the bottle.  I think it's 1 oz per 5 gallons.  Some say you can just spritz and let air dry, but I am a soaker.  I can't imagine brewing without the stuff.
Love and respect the foam!

Ross

Back