• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

refractometer reading for cloudy weizens

For any instrument, a single point calibration is near useless.  I make my own sugar solution which is the nice thing about working in a lab with analytical scales. 

With your salinity refractometer, having a calibration point at or near your target is of some value, but the correction for being off will be skewed if the refractometer has the wrong slope to it.  A zero point and one near the desired target confirms both the slope and intercept of the calibration curve, which allows for more accurate corrections and interpretations.

Yes, the Slope on it is off, hence the calibration at my target. Again this is why i use two points to check and calibrate. one at "0" and one at my target. unfortunately i am unaware of a way to change the slope of a refractometer other than buying a new one!

my brix refractometer slope is also slightly off but not as pronounced. (.5 brix at 30) my assumption is that this is due to the differences of the refractive index of sucrose vs the refractive index of maltose. But i haven't really looked into it, or cared all that much ;)

Back