• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problems Installing or Running the program?

Hi,
  Most likely a corrupt file somewhere due to a crash or system crash.

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Cheers,
Brad

Just deleted everything, re downloaded- works now. Not too big of a deal, only had 1 recipe on it. -Prosit

Beersmith 2 starts fine, however when I attempt to add equipment (my specific kettle) when I click Save for the new equipment, I get a Segmentation Fault.  I looked for a core dump, but didn't find one.  Also get a seg fault when attempting to add a new hop variety (Falconer's Flight).

I'm running Beersmith 2.0.60 on Ubuntu 11.10, 64-bit version.  Also, after a crash, the stale lock file window can't be closed.  There's an OK button, but clicking it does nothing.  If I launched it from a terminal, I can Control-C and it goes away, but other than that, I can't close that window.  Are there any other details that I can post that will help?

Thanks for the Linux version of Beersmith2.  I bought a copy, but the problems using the product with WINE kept me from using it as much as I wanted to.  Very much looking forward to getting this version working well.

-Ryan

I intended this to go under the Linux Beta topic, not sure how it landed here and I don't know how to move it.  Moderator please help!

Senior,
  Could you contact me via email - I probably need more detailed information and perhaps some files to duplicate the bug.  Not sure yet what might be causing it.  You can use the contact page from the main BeerSmith site to send a message.

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad,
I've just attempted to open Beersmith and was asked for my activation code.  I've owned the software since mid 2011 and was confused but sent an email requesting the activation code details.  I was sent the information, entered it and upon opening Beersmith 2 I discovered that my ALL of my recipes, profile details, etc were gone!!!

I run a Mac OS Snow Leopard system.  Can you please advise how I can fix this issue?

Thanks,
Dereck :-\ :-[ :(

Dereck,

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example) or it does not have your data, you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...)  - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Brad

Hi,

Just a little thing that I noticed when installing Version 2.1;

I had just downloaded and installed the new version and when I clicked the Beersmith shortcut in my taskbar it prompted me to get the new version again. I downloaded BS2 and installed it again and I got the same prompt.

I use Win 7 and it turns out that the shortcut was not updating to the new version. I manually replaced the taskbar shortcut with a new shortcut to the new version. Problem solved.

I used the trial version and after it expired I bought the activation code.  When I open the program, it tells me the trial has expired and I need to activate my copy.  I enter the code and it runs until I close the program again.  I sent an email to support 2 weeks ago that still has not been answered and I'm worried that I will run out of uses before my next brew session.  How do I get the program to stay activated?

Scott,
  I don't recall seeing your support email, and I do personally respond to each and every one I receive.

In most cases the issue you describe is a permissions problem.  One quick fix is to create your own "BeerSmith" directory somewhere under your Documents directory that you regularly use, then use the "Change Documents Directory" command on the file menu to point the program to that directory (the one you just created).  This should allow it to save your registration info, and that directory will be used for all future data.

Brad

Thanks Brad, it worked.  After your post I looked for the original email sent through the support page, but I can't find a copy of it being sent.  I think the email problem was on my end.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the fix!
Scott.

Brad,
I converted the new Beersmith 2.1 from the .deb to an .rpm.  Seems as though you updated the WxWidgets library when you compiled it on Ubuntu.  Fedora is currently on libwx_base_xml-2.8 and you want libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so.3.  Can you compile a version on Fedora?  I can't update to 2.1 so I am stuck on 2.0. :(

Thanks,
Jonathan

I just installed the Linux Beta on Fedora 17 and 18.  I did not convert the deb to an rpm but rather used ar to explode the deb and then untared the data.tar.gz
file.  I then wrote a quick perl script to produce an install script.  I did not have wxwidgets installed from the Fedora repository so the script installed the libs in the deb.
So far everything seems to be working.  Of course I'm out on a limb if I ever accidentally do install the Fedora versions.  Perhaps I should investigate using a private library.

I just upgraded my iMac to OS X 10.9 and my Beer Smith Icon disappeared from my screen and i only have the Beer Smith 2.0 installer in my App folder. When I click on it nothing happens. Not sure what happened...
Drew

Just today I tried opening BeerSmith 2.1 and it wouldn't open. It did the start up banner quick and then the program didn't end up loading. I tried changing the BeerSmith folder so that it would have to generate a new directory (as mentioned previously in this post) but that didn't help. The only difference between the last time I used the program (3 days ago) and now is that I upgraded the RAM memory on my laptop. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS with service pack 1. Also tried re-installing BeerSmith, etc., to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Recently purchased a  license for Beersmith 2. When ever i run the program it tells me the trial has expired and I have to submit the registration code to continue.

ih8lag said:
Recently purchased a  license for Beersmith 2. When ever i run the program it tells me the trial has expired and I have to submit the registration code to continue.

This happened to me too after having the license and using the software for 3-4 months.  It happened about 3 times and just as suddenly as it started, it quit and I've had no more issues.  weird.

ih8lag said:

Hi,
  Usually this is an installation issue, indicating the program does not have the proper permissions.

The quick way to fix it is to create a directory under your Documents such as Documents/BeerSmith

Then use the "Change Documents Directory" command on the File menu in BeerSmith to move
your data over to the new directory and restart it.  After that it should keep your key.

Drop me a message from the support page (contact us) if you continue to have issues.

Hi, I've just updated to 2.2 on my mac (Macbook pro running Mavericks) and none of the reports are working - neither the built in reports, nor the custom HTML reports I've created.  By "not working", I mean nothing shows up in the report display area of the UI - it's just blank.  I kept the old version of BS2 around (v2.1.02) around (after renaming it, of course) and the reports still work using v2.1.02. 

One item of note: I'm using a different documents directory than the default, but 2.2 appears to be pickup the custom location as confirmed by choosing "Change Documents Directory..." from the file menu.

Can you help me determine if this is operator error or a bug?

Hi,
  Not absolutely sure yet - most people have had a very smooth upgrade but it is possible having a different directory is causing issues.  Are you saying that when you upgraded it defaulted back to your old documents directory?

One thing to check is to make sure there is a "Reports" directory under your main document directory and that it is writeable.

Brad

Back