• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est Attenuation adjustment

prrriiide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to set my default estimated attenuation? Most of my beers hit around 91%, always higher than 87%, and sometimes up to 95%. I'd like to be able to set my default at 91% to better predict my finished ABV. It could really save me some money in unnecessarily large grain bills.

Is that a function of input mash temp? With my set up I rarely am able to hit 150, usually around 147 for mash temp. So I'm getting mostly fermentable sugars in the wort.

I'm not sure if you are talking about attenuation (FG after fermentation) or if your original gravities (tied to brewhouse efficiency) are off?

The OG is driven largely by the brewhouse efficiency in your equipment profile and you want to adjust the efficiency number until you are hitting your original gravities properly.

The attenuation (degree OG drops to FG) is mostly driven by the average attenuation for the yeast strain you are using and you can edit the yeast ingredient details if you want to adjust that number higher/lower to reflect attenuation.

Mash temp does affect the attenuation (and FG) also though you can turn that feature off if you wish by going to Options->Advanced and unchecking the "Adjust FG for mash temperature".

Brad

Back