• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Video Tutorials

Hi,
  Someone asked how I recorded the video tutorials.

The videos were done directly on a PC using Camtasia Studio software, which is a very flexible package for doing screencasting.  I did all of the video editing within Camtasia primarily because exporting to another video editor (which I tried) introduced unacceptable loss of resolution due to the compression of the video when moving it.  It is difficult to do high quality screen casting in a relatively small video window, which is why the frequent zoom/pan is needed.

For audio, I used an Audio Technica AT2020 USB microphone with an isolation mount and pop filter.  The quality of this microphone is outstanding - and a huge step up from the USB headsets or direct input mics I tried earlier.  I also did some minor soundtrack editing using the free program Audacity which I then imported as needed to Camtasia.  For editing I used a pair of Sony MDR-V6 monitoring headphones which were also very high quality.  There is only slight background noise in the finished product - primarily from the fans/hard drive vibration from my computer.

I learned quite a bit doing this for the first time, and hope to find time to do more audio/video work in the future.

Cheers,
Brad

Back