• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dip Hopping

naDinMN

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the Dip Hopping and having it added to the hops profiles. I'm putting it in as a dry hopping now with it starting on day zero and lasting through my expected fermentation window, but it would be nice to have it as a profile in and of itself.

Thanks!

If you have BeerSmith 3, you can enter the dry hop duration and select days into primary from the drop down menu for "Dry Hop Phase" as you enter each hop into the recipe. 

That's how I've been doing it, but I'd like to have a specific setting to differentiate.

I add about .75lt water at 170F per ounce of hops directly into the primary fermenter, ~60 minutes before I transfer my cooled wort in. I just seel it up and let it sit. Aromatics are amazing.

There are others that say to use 150F water, I haven't tried it yet. I've only done a few so far and have great success with the other way. I'm planning a 10g batch and will be splitting it and attempting the warmer and cooler steep.

naDinMN said:
I add about .75lt water at 170F per ounce of hops directly into the primary fermenter, ~60 minutes before I transfer my cooled wort in. I just seel it up and let it sit. Aromatics are amazing.

There are others that say to use 150F water, I haven't tried it yet. I've only done a few so far and have great success with the other way. I'm planning a 10g batch and will be splitting it and attempting the warmer and cooler steep.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot on one of my upcoming beer.

Keep in mind, this replaces all your dry hops. If you were gonna use 4 ounce in secondary, use four for the dip.

I just tapped a Cream Ale, I dip hopped. More aroma than usual, but I only used .5 to 1 ounce, so not a lot more.

Is there any issue with the addition watering down the wort or do the hops absorb most of it?

Cheers.

Mark

Great question.

When I do a larger volume, I account for it in my boil volume. Six ounces of hops would be 1.5 gallons, so I reduce my boil volume by that. For 1oz, I've just gone with it. .75qt into 6 gallons, is like tossing a bucket into the ocean.

Sorry, still a new process for me and I don't have everything completely figured out yet. I just know that I want to keep working at it because it works so well. 

If you have a good estimate of the volume of hop water you will be adding, you can put this into BeerSmith as 'top off water' in the fermenter volumes which will automaticallyl deduct that volume from the mash and boil volumes and increase the gravity target to compensate for the dilution effect.

Back