• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tabasco, Hot sauce... Can you brew with it?

sam_outt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to make a porter with a burning mouthfeel. Like the one you have when eating chili. Can you brew with for example tabasco sauce? Pros and cons?

If it is totally a no no, then what would you suggest instead? Throwing some fresh jalapenos to boil?

Thanks for any help and cheers!

I have never done it myself but I have read many articles about using chili peppers. Here is a BYO article:

https://byo.com/article/turn-up-the-heat/

You want to feel the burn, add ghost peppers at flameout.  1 pepper in 5 gallons should be enough cut into strips and put in a hop sack. Taste after fermentation is done. Still not hot enough?  Add one to the fermenter, sliced again.  Check again in a day. Keep checking until the heat is there.

Tabasco has a a lot of vinegar and which may be good in a red beer but to get the heat would take a lot of tabasco.  There are Tabasco chili peppers that are super hot too but don't tastes like the sauce, just give the heat. 5-10 would be close to enough to get the heat.

Back