• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to calculate batch sparge volumes with partial mash and LME

[email protected]

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been using BeerSmith 2 for many years.  I am an extract brewer and mash the speciality grains.  I do a full brew.  I calculate for a partial mash.  For the first couple of years, I brewed with DME.  I used the specified sparge volumes and brought the brew pot up to the target volume, then added DME.  I always hit the numbers.  More recently, I have switched to LME.  It appears that the batch sparge volumes are off.  The LME is added after the sparge and it appears that the program doesn't take into account that 3.3 pounds of LME is 1 quart of liquid volume.  My volumes for the start of the boil are off and I need to boil longer to get to the correct end of boil volume.  To get the correct pot volume for the start of the boil after adding the LME, I have to manually reduce the batch sparge volume(s) by about 1 quart of sparge water per 3.3 pounds of LME.

Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get the program to calculate the correct batch sparge volumes?

Back