• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rum/Vodka affecting ABV

Ushman92

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just wondering how I can find out how poring rum or vadka will affect my overall ABV and how I can calculate that. I have beersmith 3 if there is a way to do this in the program. For example. I added 10oz of 40% vadka in 5 gallon fermenter. Just want to know how that will affect the ABV.

It's pretty straight forward when you know the alcohol concentration and volumes you intend to use.

In your example, you have 10 oz of vodka at 40% alcohol. Therefore 40% ethanol of 10 oz would be 4 oz of ethanol added.

You've determined you have exactly 5 gallons, which is 640 oz.

Using alcohol by volume (abv) as a percent value, you just have to divide the ethanol added by the beer volume.

4 / 640 = 0.00625 or 0.625% added to the beer.

If you want to be a tad more precise, then the total volume of the vodka you're adding is added to the beer volume (10 oz vodka + 640 oz beer).

4 / 650 = 0.615%

I stopped trying to calculate it long ago. Here's my formula: ABV + spirits = More ABV

Unrelated to the OP... When i add Bourbon to my beers, I do a reduction before I mix it into the beer.  I am looking for the bourbon flavors anot the added alcohol.  The bourbon flavors are intensified in the reduction too. 

Back