• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe recommendation for skill builder

Pyrexic

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently got back into the hobby last December and just put my 6th batch in the fermenter last weekend. I feel like I have worked out the main mechanical issues I was struggling with and now want to focus more on honing in on my skills and equipment. So far every batch has been different and every batch has come out great, at least that is what everyone else is saying. But I think I want to work with the same base recipe and keep that as one of my constants and I'll alter my other tap. From what I can tell, a SMaSH is the way to go, but seems like to get subtle differences folks seem to focus on lagers, but those seem to take 6-8 weeks from grain to glass.

And recommendations on recipes with shorter maturity times? I am fermenting at pressure so can ferment a little warmer if lagers are still the way to go, just wanted to see if anyone has a favorite they keep on tap that can pick up differences in brewday performance (mash temps, hop schedule, etc), and once that is repeatable, I plan to play with the hop, malt, and yeast one at a time. I realize this is ambitious and will take some time but the first step is finding the right recipe. So many out there...

Thanks in advance

I don't think what style you make matters but you are right in that making a single recipe many times will help you hone your process. Any well balanced pale ale should work.

Back