• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multi-temperature keezer

stevebonny

Brewer
Reaction score
I was wondering about setting up a keezer with multiple temperature capability. I was thinking warmer kegs could be insulated and fitted with a heat wrap and temp sensor under the insulation. You would need a temp controller for each warm keg and one for the keezer at a colder temperature. Maybe not too efficient of a set up but low $$ outlet.

I was wondering if anyone had tried anything like this and how successful it was..... or there better solutions other than high $$$$ chiller systems.
I think I would just be looking for about 15degF difference in temps.
Thanks for any input - Steve

Two smaller keezers would be my favoured option. It’s what I use plus a kegerator.
Yes, if you have space, I would agree, I am just building a new keezer for lagers, so I'll have two! Mostly it's the range for ales that I'm looking to stratify in my "ale keezer". I usually have one or two bitters in it that seem to be best around 55degF as well as a couple of European or American ales and/or an IPA that seem better at lower temps, maybe as low as 40degF for the IPA, so I'm not trying to cover a huge range. I have 3 taps at basement temp which is in the 65-68degF most of the time which works well for the stronger/darker stuff. A third keezer would be ideal but I'm running out of room.

Trying to stratify the temperature in a single chamber is going to be too much of a challenge, imo. If space were a premium, I’d consider a tall fridge-freezer, decouple the internal control and use two temperature controllers.

Trying to stratify the temperature in a single chamber is going to be too much of a challenge, imo. If space were a premium, I’d consider a tall fridge-freezer, decouple the internal control and use two temperature controllers.
Thats worth checking into. From what I remember a 2 chamber fridge/freezer big enough is kinda pricey, but worth another look for sure.

Even if money weren’t a consideration, I’d get a used one in nice condition for your purposes. Better for the environment too. Modifying is going to void the warranty on a new one anyway.

Use a converted chest freezer to chill. Then, use a heated device (temp controled wrap) to keep the fermenter warm.

Back