• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Coca Cola Soda kegs not sealing

Pyrexic

Apprentice
Reaction score
Cleaning and rebuilding corny kegs. I have 2 pin lock corny kegs and 2 ball lock soda kegs. Broke down all 4 kegs, kept all the parts separate and got everything clean. Replaced the pin locks with ball locks. Those 2 kegs are stamped as Cornelius kegs. Replaced all the o-rings and those two sealed up perfectly. Although the two Coke kegs were already ball lock posts, the posts were badly rusted and one was gauged. So I replaced the o-rings on the pickup and gas tubes and replaced the posts with the same replacement posts I used on the corny kegs, but both of the posts on both kegs leak around the base of the posts and I have set and reset them multiple times. Used keg lube on the o-rings and cant get them to seal. Looking at the old posts, they are the same height, but flair out more at the base, which is where the new posts are leaking. I tried putting a o-ring at the base but the o-ring just distorts when the post is tightened.

I have looked to see if there are replacement posts that have the flared base but cant seem to find them. These kegs are slightly shorter and wider than a standard corny keg but the lid is the same and the posts appear to be the same thread pattern. So any thoughts on how to get these to seal?

Thanks

In my limited experience the shorter/fatter kegs were once pin lock kegs. I also found that there are slightly different posts for different brands of keg and they need to be kept separate. I did a group clean of all my kegs and didn't know this. When I went to assemble them I had a couple that leaked and now I don't know which posts go with which kegs. Also don't overlook the poppets. If they are not seated properly they will not seal correctly.

I have a couple of the short fat kegs with ball lock but they appear to have non-flared posts. Mine don't leak, but they are both in use so I can't disassemble and see how they are sealed. I also bought them this way by someone who was converting used kegs and selling them refurbished with new seals etc. Not sure this helps you too much!

20240202_070211.jpg

Is there a way to tell if they are Firestone? They are just stamped with Coca Cola information. Nothing to indicate Cornelius or otherwise that I can tell.

The brand should be etched somewhere on the keg. It could be obscured by a label or just hard to read.

I found this. About half way down the page is some detailed information on keg posts (with pictures). It says:

"Before you purchase any replacement posts for your keg, you’ll need to determine the brand/maker of that keg. You can figure this out by finding the stamp or markings on the side of the keg."

@Kevin58 That article was what I needed. Thank you. I'm guessing someone reworked these kegs previously because they were both ball lock and my 2 corny kegs were pin lock. Been refurbishing them and the 2 corny kegs look brand new and are working perfect. But yes, the 2 Coca Cola kegs are firestone, but for the life of me, I cannot find that stamped anywhere, but everything else in the article points to firestone. So, I ordered firestone replacement ball lock posts. Just go one set since they are a bit pricey compared to the corny keg replacement posts, to see if that solves my problem. If it does, I will order the second set. Stay tuned... I'll update the post when I get the posts. Thanks for all the help.

Back