• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing target brew volume in equipment profile (Tippy Dump system)

uberbrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello Brewers!
I have a Morebeer Tippy Dump system and there is a profile for a 10 gal brew. What if I want to make a 5 gal brew on the same system? Do I make a new equipment profile that simply changes the volume to 5 gal? If so, do other parameters need changing in the equipment profile (i.e. boil volume, etc.)? Please advise.

Generally when making a change in volume on the same equipment, you will want to check to see which process variables will change with the volume. Things like the loss to trub, unrecoverable mash tun space, boil off rate, and brew house efficiency are the key parameters you want to look at as these tell the modeling software how to calculate your volumes through the process and how much sugars will be extracted from your grist.

The hardest one to determine will probably be the brew house efficiency. You can probably estimate that if you know what you normally get at the 10 gal level, by scaling it according to the process losses (more losses = lower BHE) and that will give you a good initial approximation.

If the key parameters are the same and you will reach the same BHE, then you are pretty well set to use the profile you have for the 10-gal batch.

Also note, the stock profiles are generally in the ball park, but your system may run slightly different. If you go by etched markings on the equipment, make sure you check their accuracy before relying on them too much. Each system will probably be close to the stock profile, but individual practices, differences in grind of the grist, and slight variations in manufacturing of the equipment can result in differences between how your system actually performs versus the stock profile. It is always recommended to make sure that the profile is reflective of the actual values you obtain for all the variables entered in the equipment profile. Often this is done by brewing batches and taking careful measurements and notes to calculate the actual values versus the estimated ones in the profile.

Upvote 0
I would make a different profile for the 5 gal, estimate the volumes and efficiency and then measure volumes and adjust as you go to dial it in.

Upvote 0
Generally when making a change in volume on the same equipment, you will want to check to see which process variables will change with the volume. Things like the loss to trub, unrecoverable mash tun space, boil off rate, and brew house efficiency are the key parameters you want to look at as these tell the modeling software how to calculate your volumes through the process and how much sugars will be extracted from your grist.

The hardest one to determine will probably be the brew house efficiency. You can probably estimate that if you know what you normally get at the 10 gal level, by scaling it according to the process losses (more losses = lower BHE) and that will give you a good initial approximation.

If the key parameters are the same and you will reach the same BHE, then you are pretty well set to use the profile you have for the 10-gal batch.

Also note, the stock profiles are generally in the ball park, but your system may run slightly different. If you go by etched markings on the equipment, make sure you check their accuracy before relying on them too much. Each system will probably be close to the stock profile, but individual practices, differences in grind of the grist, and slight variations in manufacturing of the equipment can result in differences between how your system actually performs versus the stock profile. It is always recommended to make sure that the profile is reflective of the actual values you obtain for all the variables entered in the equipment profile. Often this is done by brewing batches and taking careful measurements and notes to calculate the actual values versus the estimated ones in the profile.
Thank you for the speedy response! I would believe that the absolute values of loss to trub and and unrecoverable mash tun space would unlikely change. (Dead volumes in the same equipment would still be the same volume.) However, how does one calculate the change in BHE and boil off rate (latter being a lower volume in with the same surface area for evaporation)?

Upvote 0
Back