• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A "Hybrid" Mash Profile for Systems like the Grainfather

Nagorg

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Grainfather G30. Researching how to brew on this, I found that many people will use BeerSmith for creating their recipe but then they transfer it to the Grainfather app so that water volumes work out correctly.
Digging into this, I found that their app uses a 0.765 fl oz/oz of grain ratio which is roughly in the middle of what BeerSmith uses for BIAB and everything else.

I'd like to change the ratio to match GF but I don't want to do that for everything else. Is there a way to make this happen? Either being able to set this for a given equipment profile or even a 3rd "custom absorption rate" for use with different mashing profiles could work. Similar to what I can see for the BIAB -vs- RIMS/HERMS profiles.

The Grainfather should use a RIMS/HERMS mash profile or a Hybrid of that and BIAB since there is a sparge step. The BIAB profile uses no sparge where the mash is done with the full boil volume. I’d like to use BeerSmith with the Grainfather system and have it give me proper water volumes based on the way you brew with it.

Unfortunately, the grain absorption is a global factor. It really should be part of the equipment profile, which I have recommended in the past. Hopefully the next update will have that change.

I would recommend that you measure your water in and wort out to actually calculate the grain absorption. The coarseness/fineness of your grist, the amount geometry of your mash basket, depth of grain bed, and temperature at which you raise the basket will all have subtle effects on the amount of water which is retained in the spent grains. Each of these factors is an equipment/process parameter which can vary from one set up to another.

Understood... I've seen your recommendation "Wish List" to. I can see how moving this to the equipment profile might be a more significant change for BeerSmith. Having an alternate mash profile that's suited to the setup may be simpler. That way you could make the "global" absorption ratio change for that type of equipment without the affecting others.

But I do agree with you that if it could be on the equipment profile instead, you'd have a lot more flexibility. So I'm adding my suggestion accordingly. I've also provided this feedback through the online form submission. It seems like a reasonable request for the improvement of this software to me.

Back