• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from Washington

D

deerelk4x4

Hello all,

New to the brewing community as I have only been brewing since August.  I have brewed four beers so far and have progressed with each one.  My first was a kit beer (Munton's Premium Pilsner).  My second was a partial, and my last two have been All Grains.  Haven't been able to sample the last two yet.  The first of them is still going through the natural carbination process and the second was a lager that has recently been moved to the secondary fermentor for the next month.  This last one was also a recipe that I designed from specifications on the Henry Weinhard's website, so I am interested to see what it actually comes out like.  Looking forward to comments from all.

Steve (Deerelk4x4)

Welcome aboard.  You will find lots of help when you ask for it, but tell us, what were the results of your first two brews and what is the system you are currently brewing on.

Fred

The first two brews were good, but seemed to lack the alcohol content that would have expected from beer.  The kit beer had good flavor and color, although rather cloudy.  The second (A clone from Rogue Brewery in Oregon) was a darker hoppy beer.  Good flavor and a little clearer that I had expected.

Got the results of my last two.  The first of them was all BAD :eek: .  It seems that after cracking grain, you can't leave it to sit for a couple of days in ziplock bags in the frig to help them keep without drawing moisture and breeding mold.  It wasn't until trying to taste that the odor nearly knocked me off my feet and the taste finished what the smell tried.

The lager I force corbonated in my new kegging system.  don't have a kegerator yet, by my back room is lacking addequate insulation and therefore maintains the COLD outside temperature well.  (not so good for the CO2 but not bad for the beer.  This was also my first time using Irish moss in the brew, and am pleasently surprised to find an overal flavor, color and clearity near equal to that of the inspiration (Thank you Weinhard.)

I am begining my experimentation soon and will have a long lager beer started in the next day or two.  I will keep you undated.

PS.

Attached is my Beersmith recipe for my Henry's clone in a BeerXML format.  Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• NWTrlCln.xml
    9.8 KB · Views: 420
Back