• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Steps for All Grain (using 5 gal igloo cooler)

derhul

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My Setup:

> 8 gallon Kettle
> 5 gallon Cooler

So I'm doing a 5 gallon brew for a stout.

When I look the steps for mashing a sparging i get the below:

Mash in @ 13.75 qt of Water at 162.3

And then (steps that I'm questioning):

Batch sparge in 4 steps (Drain mash tun , 2.32gal, 2.32gal, 0.27gal) of 168.0 F water )

My Question:

Once i mash the first time...am I supposed to?:

Step 1. Only add 2.32 gal...let sit for few minutes...sparge.
Step 2. Then add another 2.32 gal...let sit for few min... sparge.
Step 3. The add only 0.27 gal...let sit for few min...sparge.
Step 4. Add regular water to wort to get to my pre-boil volume.

Mash at 158....go get the demo version of beersmith unlessnyou have full.  It willntell you the amount and temp of water needed to mash at the right temp for a single infusion. You just need to plug in your grain weight and grain temp. I have a 5 gallon and having to add more water because the temp is too low sucks because of the space you have. Now when it comes to sparging sounds like yer batch sparging so....first. Have 20 liters (sorry I i am canadian) in 2 pots. One keep at it 168 because thatbis your sparge temp. Keeep the second pot around 190. Drain your wort into one beer jug at a time. And pour it back into your tun. Repeat until the haze from grain particles clear up. Now drain your tun completely. Do not splash hot wort because aeration developes haze and bad tannins in hot wort. Not this part gets tricky. I like to bring all the grains up to 168 when I sparging soooooo......add the water into the tunes alternating between the 2 temp water pots stirring your grain so the temp is an even 168.  Repeat the process of pouring into a jug and back into the tun  unfilled your wort is clear. Now repeat this again. Note that when you add water you do not want more than an inch of sparge water above your grain bed. How many time do I do this. Well I fill my boil pot to the brim and boil down to my batch size. I am also a chef so I taste grains to check for residual sugars because my palete is well trained I can taste miniscule amount.  Also if I have room in my pot for more wort but not enough room for a full batch sparge I will fly sparge unfilled I top my pot up.  All this is dependant of your boil pot size and batch size. Usually when I hit a boil my boil size reduces to my pail size in the hour that I will boiling my wart.  Cheers

Back