• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Not Fermentable does not work when type set to Grain

Jimmy Orkin

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am using Beersmith 2.2. The grain ingredient "Not Fermentable" check box only affects the final gravity when the Type is set to Extract or Sugar.

I have crystal and roasted malts that will not have any fermentables and I would like a better estimate of my final gravity.

I believe this to be a bug. Was this intentional?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Specialty malts are not completely unfermentable when mashed. But, if you think it should have a greater impact on your final gravity, you can dial back the yeast attenuation, since that is the deciding factor, anyway.

On a homebrew scale, someone did an experiment on the fermentability of crystal malts.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/fermentability-of-crystal-malt.html

I am familiar with that experiment. That is why I was happy to see the unfermentable option added. I would really like to be able to specify the percentage of fermentability when I select unfermentable. I guess that would be an enhancement request.

I still think the unfermentable option should work on grain at the very least. The ability to specify the percentage of fermentable/unfermentable would be ideal.

Jimmy Orkin said:
I still think the unfermentable option should work on grain at the very least. The ability to specify the percentage of fermentable/unfermentable would be ideal.

Is this based on some theoretical thoughts or on your actual experience? If experience, how repeatable has it been for you and how are you controlling variables?

If it were incorporated, I think real data to predict real results would be vital.

Back