• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oops! I forgot to check the OG!

3sheets2wind

New Forum Member
Reaction score
On our last brew bay we had a few friends over for a holiday party. A couple of us decided to brew, but we got a little distracted during and I forgot to check my gravity. I didn't even think about it until I had already pitched the years and sealed the fermenter. At that point I decided to just let it ride and see how it turned out. To be honest I didn't expect much from this beer, but now it's bottled and carbonated and I'm much happier with it than I thought I would be. So naturally now I'm curious about the ABV and I'm wondering if there is a way to figure that out at this point.

Does anyone know a way to figure the ABV after bottling?

in the 'tools' section of BeerSmith, select the refractometer tool.  Enter the refractometer reading of the finished beer in Brix and the hydrometer reading in specific gravity.  Make sure you degas the sample completely before taking the readings.  On the calculation selection, select 'Original Gravity of Finished Beer' and BeerSmith will give you the approximation of the original gravity.

Back