• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

aeration technique for 7bbl fermenter question

For your scale you should read Chris Whites Yeast book.  The concensus appears to be O2.  and different yeasts have different requirements.

biergarden said:
To aerate 7bbls of un-fermented wort, is it necessary to use oxygen, or is filtered air just as good?

O2 is going to be more efficient and reliable for oxygenating your wort. Mine is inline, right after the heat exchanger. What you're looking for is called Aviator Oxygen, by most gas companies.

Air is not going to get you to the required O2 level of 12ppm.

I couldnt remember the exact ppm required, I just remember to get there you need 1 L/min for 1 minute in 5 gallons.  Aviator oxygen...thanks for the info.  Talked to my supplier yesterday and asked what type of oxygen he was selling me.  He said 'its just the plain stuff'.  Time for a change.

KernelCrush said:
Aviator oxygen...thanks for the info.  Talked to my supplier yesterday and asked what type of oxygen he was selling me.  He said 'its just the plain stuff'.  Time for a change.

It's classified in the US as Grade E. Aviator Oxygen (min 99.6% purity) is a nick name.

It's the gas required by high flyers and ultra deep divers. It's importance is in having been "dried" before going into a cylinder, so that ice can't form in line or inside the regulator at high altitude. The drying and the sterilant value of Oxygen renders it perfectly aseptic, which is what we want for brewing.

There's a lot of myth about what grade of O2 is "best" for brewing. For decades in the United States (and I believe UK countries, too), there has not been a real "industrial" or welding grade because the need for a higher standard has made that an obsolete issue. All oxygen is USP listed (meaning its listed as a drug licensed for use in the US), making is "safe" for human consumption.

Respiratory and Medical grade O2 get a tank purge before refilling to prevent blended gasses. They don't get a drying process, so can freeze regulators and lines in high flow circumstances. The only meaningful difference between the two is that many states require a prescription for "Medical" grade. There is no special filtration or treatment applied when filling the tank.

Believe it or not, Grade A Oxygen has the loosest standards. It's most often sold as welding Oxygen. Purity is rated at 99% (aviator is 99.6%) It can have as much as 10ppm CO and 300 ppm CO2 (aviator requires <2 ppm).

I did some google on this after your post.  There certainly is a lot of debate.  Luckily we have a small airport here I can get Aviator.  Thank you again. 

Back