• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mashing or adding pretzel flavor to beer

damelton1973

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out a recipe for a Chocolate Pretzel porter. I don't know if this has ever been done and I'm not good at making recipes just brewing them LOL any help would be greatly appreciated. ???

That does sound interesting.  I make home made pretzels and I most of the taste comes from the yeast in the dough and letting is rise in the fridge for 24 hours.  I also add 12 oz of beer to make the dough as well  :D  So how to get that flavor in your beer?  I would think you would need a pretzel extract flavor and add it to your secondary.  Now where/how to get pretzel extract?

It would be nice if there was a pretzel extract. I was thinking of whole pretzels bagged separately during mash or boil.

Certain malts give a bready character and maybe if you added salt to the wort too perhaps this will give you something similar?

It may be just over 3 years late, but here's a place to get Pretzel flavoring.

https://www.oooflavors.com/products/pretzel-flavored-liquid-concentrate

Brian

Back