• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Difference in mash profile between light and medium body batch sparge

WM7793

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks to all those who have helped this new user previously !

Could anyone help me to explain why, when the "single infusion, medium body, batch sparge" only gives a single volume of water to batch sparge ?

The "single infusion, light body, batch sparge" gives two volumes for sparging, as expected.

I have the profile set for "equal batch sizes" in both. (I have uploaded some screens to look at)

Many thanks, and best regards,
WM7793

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-11-30 20:03:44.png
    Screenshot from 2013-11-30 20:03:44.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 791
  • Screenshot from 2013-11-30 20:04:08.png
    Screenshot from 2013-11-30 20:04:08.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 765
Yup.  Check the setting of "Drain Mash Tun before Sparging".  From your screen shots, one checked and the other is not (note: "Drain Mash Tun" is not displayed in the "light body" profile, and IS in the medium profile.

Also, check the "batch sparge using batches that fill _____ %"  I don't know that this is different between the two, but its the other setting that can trip you up. 

Thanks so much for your help Tom!, I feel a bit embarrassed now looking back at this, as I should have noticed the discrepancies !!!!!!

Being new to Beersmith and also to all grain brewing, including building my kit, setting up a PID etc, etc,  it has all been a steep learning curve to get up to speed with everything.

I very much appreciate all the help that the members of the forum have given me, despite asking some daft questions !

I am getting there !

Best regards,
WN7793

No reason to be embarassed.  You have no idea how many people are caught out by this, and the other batch sparge options.  We've ALL done it. 

Its really rooted in the fact that the mash profile includes the sparging method.  When really the two are separate things.  Its a trade off between how many different profiles do you require the user to define for each "process". 

The way I manage this, is that I define a single profile that has all the parameters set the way I want, with the sole exception of the "amount of body"----essentially the sach rest temperature.  Once I've got that the way I want it, I then COPY that profile to the other "degrees of body" and modify the one or two bits of the profile to adjust the "degree of body or fermentability". 

If at some later point I decide to change my sparging approach (as I did last year), I go back to the "light body" profile, and make the adjustments, and then repeat the copy/modify operation described above.  If it is just a simple change, I might just do it the 5 different times, but I'm very careful when I do it that way...because of this very reason.

That is a good idea Tom.

Looking back on my short experience with Beersmith, I have been caught out when playing around with the software, and not remembering to "reselect" to your "original" profile. This caused me some head scratching as to why there were discrepancies, until this was pointed out.

I have only completed two brews and now very looking forward to my next one, as I now feel that I am a lot wiser in understanding the whole process. Also, the importance of taking accurate measurements to feed back into Beersmith.

Again, thanks Tom, and all the other contributors, for their patience in helping me understand the way Beersmith works.

Best regards,
WM7793

Back