• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wye 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast for bigger styles

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone made a higher OG Belgian Strong beer with this 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast?  I've made nice a Belgian Pale and a tweener Pale/Dubbel with it before, but due to delays and yeast re-starts, I now have a monster starter and could go big with it. 

Debating either Dark Strong or Tripel or keeping it tame as a Blonde. 

I'm thinking Quad. It's fall and that should be perfect around Christmas/New Years.

I've used the White Labs version and it is very smooth if kept cool (68-70 ish) for the first 4 days, then left to float up to 75-78 is to finish. With a large starter you shouldn't have any issues with it stalling out, especially if you reserve sugar additions for post primary. I'm predicting smooth fruitiness and medium low peppercorn spicy phenols.

brewfun said:
With a large starter you shouldn't have any issues with it stalling out, especially if you reserve sugar additions for post primary.

I have some dark candi syrup to use up, and I have been wanting to try adding the simple sugar after fermentation started.  Do you just boil/cool it on day 4 or 5 and add it then?  After most maltose is gone?

Yes! Exactly. If you're thinking over 20%, adding a little yeast nutrient like DAP or GoFerm would be good insurance.

brewfun said:
Yes! Exactly. If you're thinking over 20%, adding a little yeast nutrient like DAP or GoFerm would be good insurance.

I once had a fermentation stop after adding the total amount of sugar at the same time (2 days after "Krausen").  The amount of sugar must have been around 20% of the total grain bill for a Tripel/Quadrupel type of beer that I brewed those days. I blamed it on the sugar. Since then, and if I'm adding these amounts of sugar, I use to split up the total amount of sugar (20%) in 2 batches (10%+10%). I add the batches to the primary with 2 days in between.

I was thinking around 0.5 to 0.75 lb of sugar in the end of boil, and then 1.0 to 1.5 lb of sugar and the candi syrup later, like day 4 or 5, after >2/3's of the attentuation is done.    total would be 2# sugar plus the syrup, which is 1.032 I think. 

Back