• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Apple ale recipe

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a kegerator off craigslist, and part of the deal I made with the seller is that I'd brew a batch of whatever he wanted. He said he liked something called Redd's Apple Ale--I've seen it in the store, but never tried it.

I just happen to have a bunch of apples picked from a local orchard. Anyone have a basic apple ale recipe, or have some ideas of where to start?

My wife wanted a beer that tasted something like apple pie so a few months ago I made an "Apple pie brown ale". It came out really good. Redd's is pretty bad, doesn't taste like beer at all. More like cider. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share the apple brown ale recipe with you. If they want something like Redd's, try a cider recipe.

I brewed a small batch (5 gallon) of an Apple Graf recently. I found this in an issue of Beer Advocate mag. 4 gallons of pure (no additives) apple juice, 1 gallon of pale wort, .5 oz. of favorite hops and Nottingham dry yeast.

Put 3 gallons of the apple juice in carboy (I used Costco Kirtland Apple juice) brew up 1 gallon batch of a 3.3lbs. LME of pale. Add .5 oz. of favorite hops, (I used fuggles) cool, put in carboy, add last gallon of juice. OSG reading, pitch yeast, brew like beer rest of way.

Turned out fine for an apple.

buzzny said:
I brewed a small batch (5 gallon) of an Apple Graf recently. I found this in an issue of Beer Advocate mag. 4 gallons of pure (no additives) apple juice, 1 gallon of pale wort, .5 oz. of favorite hops and Nottingham dry yeast.

Put 3 gallons of the apple juice in carboy (I used Costco Kirtland Apple juice) brew up 1 gallon batch of a 3.3lbs. LME of pale. Add .5 oz. of favorite hops, (I used fuggles) cool, put in carboy, add last gallon of juice. OSG reading, pitch yeast, brew like beer rest of way.

Turned out fine for an apple.

That sounds like a great idea.

Consider Applejack which is what Redds is trying to do. These methods will drive most home brewers nuts because the only boil is the mini mash or about 1 gal of wort. Choose what that wort is you brew it up. Now about the apple cider take a 3 gal batch pitch your yeast choice in the past apples and the juice had wild yeast so it would ferment out and then freeze distillation works best aka you ferment the fermented apple juice freeze it pour off the unfrozen liquid but you want but it looks sort of like slush. Do Note Freeze Distillation Is Illegal without proper permits(Crazy Gov law but true). This was a fall and winter drink why the process is natural, that being said about 6 gallons of fresh cider by either natural fermentation or a healthy yeast pitch to over run any wild bugs then partially frozen should male about 3 gals or so of freeze distillation apple juice add one gallon of apple juice your fermented wort and bottle the yeast in the last fresh apple juice addition will add the bubbles. That is the way I learned it from my grandfather and I am now 60 take it as you wish but it works. Nope never entered this is just stuff I give into the next holiday season.
FYI Redds is made by Millers.

Back