• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

AIPA Future Harvest Ale

InVinoVeritas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Big fan of Founders Harvest Ale.  With the limited information I have gotten from Founders it's not going to be possible to truly clone their harvest ale, they get a ton of fresh hops of varying kinds (I'm only growing Cascade).  So this recipe has become some thing of its own.  Plan is to dial in the recipe doing a couple brews (sure it won't be the same at wet, but worthy feedback), with adjustments and then do a proper true harvest ale August / September '14.  Going for clean, floral and citrus.  Feedback please and thank you.

Attachments

• Future Harvest Ale.bsmx
    23.2 KB · Views: 216
Hard to really say since you've realized you can't dupe their hops. 

I see only a 0.57 boil off.  Is that accurate? 

MaltLicker said:
Hard to really say since you've realized you can't dupe their hops. 

I see only a 0.57 boil off.  Is that accurate?

I'm a new all grain brewer, only done BIAB once.  I'll be customizing a cooler with manifold and sparge arm within the next few weeks, once money and time allows.  The 0.57 is about what I've boiled off (10%) in an hour doing extract.  However, how much will I lose from evaporation as part of the mashing process?

None, since you collect wort until you hit your pre-boil volume target. 

I would imagine most homebrewers boil off at least a gallon, often starting with ~6.5 gallons, boil ~1.0, and lose some to trub along the way and usually get 5.0 into a keg or bottles.  A robust and vigorous boil will help the beer, regardless if it's extract or AG. 

My preboil volume is usually 7.44 gallons for my equipment and processes.  I usually have about 5.5 gallons going into the fermentor.  I usually have right at 5 gallons going into bottles.

Scott Ickes said:
My preboil volume is usually 7.44 gallons for my equipment and processes.  I usually have about 5.5 gallons going into the fermentor.  I usually have right at 5 gallons going into bottles.

60 min boil?  I can't imagine boiling 2 gallons of in 60 mins.

InVinoVeritas said:
Scott Ickes said:

60 min boil?  I can't imagine boiling 2 gallons of in 60 mins.

I have my evaporation rate set at 16.1% per hour.  I like vigorous boils.

Back