• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Conversion Tables

amasterj

Apprentice
Reaction score
Call me stupid but I am always struggling with water calculations. How do I convert the decimals into something I can relate to. IE: 9.39 gallons. What is .39 of a gallon? Am I missing something here. Can I set up my BeerSmith to do this for me? Are there tables I can refer to. ???

You can convert to quarts if that is easier to deal with.  Just go into the tools (not the tab, but the bar above the tabs) and go to options.  It will come up with your current settings.  You can change the units for almost every section individually.  Pretty easy to work with.  Ironically, I recently converted mine back from quarts to gallons because it seemed easier to deal with for me.  I got tired of converting quarts to gallons in my mash profile.

You can multiply the decimal fraction by the number of ounces in a gallon. 0.39 gallons is 49.92 ounces. Round it to 50 ounces. Now, convert that to quarts by dividing by 32 ounces per quart - in this case, since it's only one quart and change, subtract 32 from the number of ounces to get 9 gallons, 1 quart, 18 ounces.

Outside the US people use a strange measurement system called "metric". It's a bizarre concept that uses multiple of ten.

Google "convert gallons to liters" to find the number of liters in question, then work in liters. Most measuring cups and coolers are marked in liters and  mililiters, so the actual measurement is a trivial task.

9.39 gallons = 35.55 liters.

After you've done that a few times you can begin thinking in liters and your problems are solved.

durrettd said:
Google "convert gallons to liters" to find the number of liters in question, then work in liters. Most measuring cups and coolers are marked in liters and  mililiters, so the actual measurement is a trivial task.

9.39 gallons = 35.55 liters.

There is also a tool on the tool tab that can do this for you.  Save you a step.

AND...we really ought to have changed to metric.  It really is so much easier, being 10 based.  But we Americans are super stubborn about such things.

Yes I can see where metric would be much simpler in these types of calculations. Thanks for all the advice I will give it a try. If nothing else durrettd's  math answer is an easy way to get there. I just was not sure, never been the best with math:-(

Back