• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

StarSan bubbles.

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Do all of the bubbles in your carboy from StarSan bother you?  I've been told by many great homebrewers to not sweat them, but.....

sheesh.... lots of bubbles in my secondaries....

This is what I'm talking about.  The one in the back is a larger carboy and the top is full of bubbles.  The one in front is in the process of being filled.  It did push the bubbles out for the most part, but it still had a little bit in the headspace (even though there wasn't much headspace).

Does anyone know if the bubbles are enough to affect the beer flavor, etc.?

Attachments

• BS 003.JPG
    BS 003.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 19
I know...I know....  Don't fear the bubbles!  They supply nutrients to the yeast.  It's just freaky.  Kinda cool looking how the bubbles curl up around the racking hose too!

When you sanitize ahead of time, those bubbles penetrate cracks and dry to form a thin layer of low PH that discourages grubbies from growing.  You're talking about a couple or three tablespoons at most, throughout the entire vessel.  Let's see. Two tablespoons is an eighth of a cup, or one fluid ounce. Four cups (thirty two fl oz) in a quart. Four quarts (one hundred twenty eight fl oz) in a gallon. You get the idea.

Putting it into that context I fail to see anything worth worrying about.

When used properly, StarSan is odorless, tasteless and very effective. The primary ingredient is Phosphoric Acid, which is the same thing used in Soda Pop. A small amount is created in beer fermentation.

The secondary ingredient is another acid that is the surfactant, creating the foam. The foam increases the surface area of the phosphoric acid and lengthens the contact time.

Very interesting photo! I have been using the product for a few years and have never seen that much foam, except when oxygenating the wort. Do you drain the carboys inverted using a carboy stand? It must be interesting when you add oxygen to the wort. I add 1/2 tsp. Fermcap to each carboy, prior to oxygenating the wort. It helps in preventing blow outs with no ill effects on the finished beer.

I don't fear my amount of foam, but your's might freak me out. 

+1 on the inverted draining before filling with wort.  That's also the easiest time to get a Brew Hauler on the carboy. 

And when I over-slosh and leave too much foam, I just pour some new SSan in there and wipe out the foam and pour it out more gently next time. 

I used to use the Five Star Io Star Sanitizer.  It requires a 2 minute contact.  It also stains all plastic purple, which isn't a problem, but just looks weird.  I've heard it can't be kept as long as StarSan either. 

I keep a 5 gallon fermenter of StarSan mixed up with an airlock on it.  I re-use it.  I've been told as long as it will still make bubbles easy, it's still effective.  The bucket you see behind the carboys in the photo is that 5 gallon fermenter.  When I finished I just put the lid on it with the airlock.  It is my understanding, that if you leave it open, it loses it effectiveness more quickly.  If you leave it covered under an airlock, you can re-use it for quite some time.

By the way, that photo was taken 4 hours ago.  There are no bubbles left in either of the fermenters.

The discard time of StarSan is measured by the pH of the solution. Above 4.0 discard!

and.......I learned something new again!  Thank you RiverBrewer!  Whenever someone teaches me something I give em good karma... ;)

I don't worry about the foam but I've never had any where near that much residual foam either.
It just looks like it needs a little more time to drain to me.

If you are using tap water to mix, I haven't had the solution last more then a day or two.
RO water lasts me over a month.
Distilled water will last the longest.
I know a lot of people discard after clouding, but the pH of the solution is the critical factor.

Back