• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge Temperature too low

reim0027

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I add the recommended 168F sparge water and mix it well. I took the final temperature and it was 159F. Is that normal, or should I bump the initial sparge water up?  Or, do I need to change the settings to my mash profiles?

The 168F is what you want your sparge water to bring the temp up to.  You need to put your water in at the proper temp so that it equalizes at 168F.  I usually have to be about 190F to hit 168F.

Thanks for the reply.  I added 188 degree sparge water and obtained 168ish final sparge temperature (lucky I guess).

Is hitting that 168 temperature very important, of am I worrying about nothing?

Well.  Yes and no.  If you're too high, you will extract some tannins that will put a husky bitterness flavor to your beer.  Not a good thing.  If you are too low, you won't extract as many sugars from the mash.  Also, at 168F you denature the enzymes, but I've been led to believe by many experienced homebrewers not to sweat that too much, since boiling the wort will denature them anyhow.

Most homebrewers that are using a cooler for a mash tun, are adding there sparge water at higher temperatures and it's more common to miss low instead of high.

Back