• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Continuous Hop addition

Stuntman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Sam Calagione instructs the Brew Your Own Clone Recipe brewers to mix the 3 hop varieties of his 90 Minute IPA together and then add .25oz every 7 1/2 minutes for 90 minutes.. 

Would be nice if there was a way in Beersmith to 1) Combine hops and 2) Add in a range.. say 90minutes - Flameout...  in even increments..

I can't see any way to do this in the current version and come up with any estimates of IBU that are even close to what I want..

Hmmm. ...do they mix them all up in a jumble, and then take 0.25oz doses to the kettle?  If so, then they have little idea either.  Unless the AA% are all similar and they just guesstimate. 

If I were trying this, I would take the three hops I was using, and I'd measure out the 12 doses using a weighted average of what I used. 

0.08oz Cascade @ ? AA%
0.08oz Columbus @ ? AA%
0.09oz Citra @ ? AA%

..........and I'd do the math and create a new custom hop in BS2 that reflected the weighted average of what I had mixed together.  An ounce of the above mixture at known blended AA% would roughly approximate the three hops. 

Without that math, there's at least a small risk of grabbing a couple doses of high-alpha hops early in the boil and getting high bitterness. 

Back