• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast with low flocculation. How to wash/isolate yeast from such a yeast cake?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last weekend I used the yeast cake of a pilsner batch (WLP838 Southern German Lager) from the week before and washed it several times isolating the yeast following the tips and advices I received via this blogg. Made a starter etc. and used it for my Dunkel which went very well :) The Dunkel just finished its primary.

Now, at this very moment, I am brewing a Wit Bier. I bought a WLP400-Belgian Wit Ale that has a low flocculation matching this type of beer.

Looking at my yeast starter with the WLP 400 (with low flocculation) I see some sediment but the rest is very equal (I see no layers). Last week it was not that difficult to wash and isolate the WLP 838 (with high flocculation) because I easily could recognize the clumped yeast layer.

My question: how to wash and isolate yeast with low flocculation? Any tips/experiences/thoughts ;)

R, Slurk

Put vessel containing this yeast in your fridge at 32 F, wait 24 hs to cold crash it and then do your described before procedure.

Back