• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Danby DKC645BLS Theromstat Problems

devildogdust

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently bought on-line a used Danby DKC645BLS Kegerator. Looks nice but I have since discovered problems. I see on other forums that there might be a way to repair or by-pass the digital thermostat. It only chills to 47.5 degrees and obviously that is unsat. I have thought about by-passing the thermostat altogether and using an external temp control; however, I have heard that this might cause defrost cycle problems. Does anyone have experience in this matter. I sure could use some suggestions.

I have a small Danby bar fridge (no freezer section) that I converted to a kegerator. 

I use a Johnston A419 controller on it to bypass the built in thermostat because I wasn't that happy with the original.  I secure the sensor probe to the side of the keg under a bit of foam insulation with a flat bungie cord and keep the temp set at 39 F.

Works fine and I have not had any defrost problems - defrosted maybe once a year.

I also have a couple of small computer fans running in the kegerator -  one just circulates the air and the other blows air via a one inch ID  hose up into the beer tap tower to keep the beer lines cold.

Brian

PS - I have recently bought a few STC1000 two stage controllers on Ebay  - more versatile than the A419 as they can control both the a fridge or freezer  compressor and heater, and also a lot less expensive.  I have had zero problems with them, but i do use a secondary relay with them because the  contacts are just rated at 10 amps.  I use them to make a freezer into a keg storage unit or a fermentation chamber.

Wingeezer said:
I have a small Danby bar fridge (no freezer section) that I converted to a kegerator. 

I use a Johnston A419 controller on it to bypass the built in thermostat because I wasn't that happy with the original.  I secure the sensor probe to the side of the keg under a bit of foam insulation with a flat bungie cord and keep the temp set at 39 F.

Works fine and I have not had any defrost problems - defrosted maybe once a year.

I also have a couple of small computer fans running in the kegerator -  one just circulates the air and the other blows air via a one inch ID  hose up into the beer tap tower to keep the beer lines cold.

Brian

PS - I have recently bought a few STC1000 two stage controllers on Ebay  - more versatile than the A419 as they can control both the a fridge or freezer  compressor and heater, and also a lot less expensive.  I have had zero problems with them, but i do use a secondary relay with them because the  contacts are just rated at 10 amps.  I use them to make a freezer into a keg storage unit or a fermentation chamber.

where/what wires will bypass this thermostat?

devildogdust said:
I recently bought on-line a used Danby DKC645BLS Kegerator. Looks nice but I have since discovered problems. I see on other forums that there might be a way to repair or by-pass the digital thermostat. It only chills to 47.5 degrees and obviously that is unsat. I have thought about by-passing the thermostat altogether and using an external temp control; however, I have heard that this might cause defrost cycle problems. Does anyone have experience in this matter. I sure could use some suggestions.

I have the same one. Where did you make the bypass? I want to do the same thing

Back