Author Topic: Danby DKC645BLS Theromstat Problems  (Read 9786 times)

Offline devildogdust

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Danby DKC645BLS Theromstat Problems
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
I recently bought on-line a used Danby DKC645BLS Kegerator. Looks nice but I have since discovered problems. I see on other forums that there might be a way to repair or by-pass the digital thermostat. It only chills to 47.5 degrees and obviously that is unsat. I have thought about by-passing the thermostat altogether and using an external temp control; however, I have heard that this might cause defrost cycle problems. Does anyone have experience in this matter. I sure could use some suggestions.

Offline Wingeezer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Save the whales - Collect the whole set.
Re: Danby DKC645BLS Theromstat Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
I have a small Danby bar fridge (no freezer section) that I converted to a kegerator. 

I use a Johnston A419 controller on it to bypass the built in thermostat because I wasn't that happy with the original.   I secure the sensor probe to the side of the keg under a bit of foam insulation with a flat bungie cord and keep the temp set at 39 F.

Works fine and I have not had any defrost problems - defrosted maybe once a year.

I also have a couple of small computer fans running in the kegerator -  one just circulates the air and the other blows air via a one inch ID  hose up into the beer tap tower to keep the beer lines cold.

Brian

PS - I have recently bought a few STC1000 two stage controllers on Ebay  - more versatile than the A419 as they can control both the a fridge or freezer  compressor and heater, and also a lot less expensive.  I have had zero problems with them, but i do use a secondary relay with them because the  contacts are just rated at 10 amps.   I use them to make a freezer into a keg storage unit or a fermentation chamber.

Offline carterson1027

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »
I have a small Danby bar fridge (no freezer section) that I converted to a kegerator. 

I use a Johnston A419 controller on it to bypass the built in thermostat because I wasn't that happy with the original.   I secure the sensor probe to the side of the keg under a bit of foam insulation with a flat bungie cord and keep the temp set at 39 F.

Works fine and I have not had any defrost problems - defrosted maybe once a year.

I also have a couple of small computer fans running in the kegerator -  one just circulates the air and the other blows air via a one inch ID  hose up into the beer tap tower to keep the beer lines cold.

Brian

PS - I have recently bought a few STC1000 two stage controllers on Ebay  - more versatile than the A419 as they can control both the a fridge or freezer  compressor and heater, and also a lot less expensive.  I have had zero problems with them, but i do use a secondary relay with them because the  contacts are just rated at 10 amps.   I use them to make a freezer into a keg storage unit or a fermentation chamber.

where/what wires will bypass this thermostat?

Offline carterson1027

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
I recently bought on-line a used Danby DKC645BLS Kegerator. Looks nice but I have since discovered problems. I see on other forums that there might be a way to repair or by-pass the digital thermostat. It only chills to 47.5 degrees and obviously that is unsat. I have thought about by-passing the thermostat altogether and using an external temp control; however, I have heard that this might cause defrost cycle problems. Does anyone have experience in this matter. I sure could use some suggestions.

I have the same one. Where did you make the bypass? I want to do the same thing