• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't match recipe numbers in books/magazines

mdawson9

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi! Got Beersmith recently and love it but am having a hard time matching numbers when I put in recipes from a book or magazine. I think it may have to do with the settings on the different types of extract. Are their any advanced Beersmith users who have figured this out?  I can't get the OG's to match.

For example, Beersmith says:

10.9# Light LME, 0.5# Wheat LME, 1.5# corn sugar and 0.5 # Crystal (steeping) = 1.096.

The recipe is from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles book says OG = 1.080.

Any help is appreciated.  I've gone through the Equipment stuff and have selected "Extract" as the brew style.
Thanks!

In my experience variations in gravity are usually caused by variations in the equipment profile, especially the boil-off and trub losses in the kettle. If you haven't already done it, read the tutorials at http://beersmith.com/video/.

If it's close enough, don't sweat it.  I've made the same recipe twice that didn't come out exactly the same way twice, but was tasty both times.  Equipment and efficiency varies.  Life goes on.  Beer continues to be made.  ;D

Check batch size. A 6 gal batch would be 80, if that is what the book is using.

Back