• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

how many vanilla beans to add?

NIZZLE

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a dragon's milk bourbon barrel stout and was wondering wean i should put the beans in and how many don't want it to be over powering but i want to taste the vanilla along with the bourbon and oak flavor. sorry forgot to mention its a 5 gallon batch.
                                                                                                                                                                        THANKS.

NIZZLE said:
Whoa whoa whoa. Dont all answer at once  I thought this was a place to get help with your questions  but that don't seem to be the case  thanks for all the help  :mad:

Methinks someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning  :eek: Too much homebrew last night?
The only thing I've seen about adding Vanilla beans has been on this one

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,8244.0.html

as with everything to do with homebrew.....the answers come to those with patience.  ;)

Really?

You're asking for help, I and you're gonna give that kind of attitude after 24 hours without a response?  Really?

This forum isn't that active.  Sometimes it can go a few days before one of the experienced Brewers checks in and has the time and inclination to answer.  If you need an immediate answer you should cross post to hbt. 

Besides, a quick Google search would give you about 100 answers.

You can use anywhere from 1/2 to 3 beans per gallon of beer. Depending on how noticeable you want the flavor to be.  That should give you the range from "I'm not sure I can taste anything" to "beat you over the head with it".

I prefer to use it as a "dry hop" ingredient.  But, it could be added at whirlpool.  I would use less if I added it to hot wort. Regardless, you need to split the beans lengthwise before adding them.

If adding to secondary or keg (as a "dry hop"), put the split beans in a jar with a small amount of vodka for 24 hours. This will help reduce any surface contamination, and extract alcohol soluble flavors.

If you want to make vanilla extract at home, all you need is to drop a split bean or two into some vodka. For exact ratios I'd have to use google. Anyway, that's what I'd do. I'd make my own vanilla extract, or use a commercial product that I trust, and add it to taste. Remember that you can always add more, but you can't take it away.

Oh, and try being a little more patient next time when asking us for advice. Some of us only check in once a week. If that. If this is any indication of your patience level, this hobby is not for you.

sorry to all for not being patient  :-X

So back to the original question at hand....
Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout...... I think I may have heard of it...... maybe...
The Bourbon Barrel we get around these here parts is the good old TRUE Bourbon Barrel Ale...  ;D KENTUCKY BOURBON BARREL....HEHE...
So, pardon my ignorance, please describe this.... Is it the mix of a Bourbon Barrel ale and a Milk Stout? Sounds intriguing... Willing to share the recipe?

yes it is a mix  between the two in my opinion but better i love this beer it is from new holland brewery and i got the recipe of from beersmith i just put my owen touch on it

Maine Homebrewer said:
it is from new holland brewery
Found this on google. http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/mainstays/dragons-milk-bourbon-barrel-stout/

With scotch when they say "vanilla" they are referring to flavor from the charred oak barrel, as opposed to actual vanilla.
Maybe try getting some wood chips. Figure out a way to char them, and add them into the secondary.
ya i was just trying to get more vanilla flavor as i drink this a lot and it could use it in my opinion

I have been told that it is tough to find good vanilla beans right now. So, if you find good vanilla beans, I was told by a smart guy, " split the vanilla beans, (2) and put them in a dish with bourbon". Wait a while, and taste it. After awhile drain it off, throw out the beans and add the leftover to your secondary or keg. The vanilla goes away and the bourbon tends to stay. I added bourbon to my taste. (to much) and sipped for about three months. Didn't need/ want a pint. Tends to be a beer that should last. Couple of pints is a bad ideal.

Back