Author Topic: Northern Brewer 3 narrow range hydrometer set - Are they worth $60  (Read 3422 times)

Offline ImperialStout

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Just got an email from Northern Brewer, as most of you have. They sell a set of narrow range hydrometers for $60, link below. Anyone have experience with these or other PRO grade and expensive hydrometers?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewery-essentials-advanced-gravity-testing-assembly.html?utm_source=The+Northern+Brewer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=54ce7a1057-AdvancedGravity-02282013-CD&utm_medium=email&ct=t%28AdvancedGravity-02282013-CD%29&gooal=eyJjaWQiOiI1NGNlN2ExMDU3IiwidGFnIjoiQWR2YW5jZWRHcmF2aXR5LTAyMjgyMDEzLUNEIiwidWlkIjoiYTllZjQ5NzcxODQwZWJiZWVmN2RkZTc3OSJ9|dXMxODYzQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ==&mc_cid=54ce7a1057&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

Offline alcaponejunior

• Having a homebrewed IPA
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Up next: ESB
    • Beer And Stuff
Re: Northern Brewer 3 narrow range hydrometer set - Are they worth $60
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
Do we really need that much precision at the homebrew 5/10 gallon level?

And what level of increased accuracy do these instruments allow us to measure?  And what is the marginal value of the additional accuracy?

I can see if you're brewing barrels at a time, where batch-to-batch consistency counts for a lot, you might want that additional accuracy.  I couldn't see spending the money for what I'm producing.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Northern Brewer 3 narrow range hydrometer set - Are they worth $60
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
I don't know about $60 for three, but I spent $20 for a good lab one that goes from 0 to 70, so it's much easier to read. 

modification