• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Primary fermenter size issue?

applecrew135

Apprentice
Reaction score
Cheers!

I have a quick question... I've got a 6.5 gallon plastic primary fermenter. I'm planning on doing a small 2.5 gallon half-batch as a warm-up test for a Dunkelweizen for my first batch in MANY years. Does anyone see any real issues with fermenting a small batch like this in my existing fermenter?

Thanks!

Nope. You're definitely not going to need a blow-off tube ... just an air-lock. I always wonder why anyone would spend the time to brew such a small quantity when it takes just as long to do a five or 10-gallon batch. I do experimental five gallon batches to determine what might work for 10 gallons.

Thanks for the input!

You ask "Why so small"??

The batch is experimental for me, to get me re-familiarized with the process. I'm starting with extracts and specialty grains. The first thing I want to try is a full boil, but I am limited by my pot size (20 qt) at this time and wanted to try a full boil - call it a proof of concept! I also really wanted to start small because I don't want to tie up all my bottles just yet.

I have enough bottles for 5 gallon batches, but it would be easier if I could try a few different brews at first to find out what works and what doesn't. My fermentation will be at basement temps, and I don't know how that will fluctuate over the next several months. I really want to have some degree of knowledge about my fermentation temps and what I can expect before I start some bigger batches. I would like to be as consistent as possible!

I'm planning on supplying the beer for our annual family & friends lobster fest at the end of June and I want to make sure I have a couple of brews under my belt and don't muck things up when I try my Raging Bitch clone. That will certainly be a 5 gallon batch.

8) Cheers!

Had my first Raging Bitch over the weekend.... Never been into the hoppy stuff, but kinda starting to like it. I like grapefruit, sooooo.....lol...that's what most of them remind me of. Felt kinda huzzy feaded  :eek: after it, and looked down at the bottle....didn't realize it was 8.5%!!! LOL
I am totally with you with the 'proof of concept' with new stuff. I've been getting mediocre (but still drinkable of course)stuff but now I'm getting used to a lot of the measurements, my equipment profile, etc., so things are going better.
Keep us up to date on how you are doing! Welcome back to the addiction!

Back