• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1 Week after bottling

Dhostetter

Apprentice
Reaction score
i just opened a bottle of my first AG IPA to check carbination and it was pretty flat.
How much CO2 should I be expecting now?
I'm worried I did something wrong. I used 3 oz of priming sugar.

Palmer writes in How To Brew, page 114, that "one week will often do the job of carbonation for the impatient; it depends on the type and vitality of the yeast."  For me it's a bit early; two weeks stored at 65-69 F is the earliest I've cracked open a bottle, but usually I let rest for 30 days for more improved flavor profile.

Then again what are you using for a priming sugar?  What was the volume that you bottled?  Palmer recommends adding 3/4 cups (4 ounces) with 2 cups of water.  I usually use BeerSmith calculation based on volume.

It's been a long time since I bottled, but I seem to recall two weeks was the minimum for noticeable carbonation. A month or more before it got good. Three ounces seems a bit shy to me. Don't worry though. Undercarbonated brew can always be cured with a splash or two of something from the store.

GoodisBeer said:
Then again what are you using for a priming sugar?  What was the volume that you bottled?  Palmer recommends adding 3/4 cups (4 ounces) with 2 cups of water.  I usually use BeerSmith calculation based on volume.
It's Brewers Best Priming Sugar. It was 3.5 gals of Ale and I was shooting for 2.3 Vol Co2.

I think I just need to be patient and let the yeast do its job.

You should be fine just let it sit.. Last year I did a big Abby and used no priming at all "this way I would keep my hand off it" I wanted it to cellar for at least a year. 16 months and I do still have a few bottles carbed up just fine.

Matt

Back