Author Topic: It's ALPHA brew day...my first batch!  (Read 24313 times)

Offline gwapogorilla

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: It's ALPHA brew day...my first batch!
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2013, 05:34:43 AM »
actually, you are so right. I just finished the last of it, and the orange flavor really came out. It was not bitter, but just right. But really, I just can't seem to keep any set aside...between me and family/friends, it went pretty quick.

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
Was just wondering,..do you remember what temperature you pitched the yeast at,..how did you cool it,..and how long did it take to cool?  Thanks.
My goal is to become a better brewer!

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »
The yeast was spinning on a stir plate for 24 hours before I pitched...my notes say it was at 71* F. I do full volume boils and use a wort chiller. I chilled the wort to 71* to match the yeast temp. Since it was in a plastic bucket, I wasn't able to see any visual signs of fermentation for better than 24 hours. I have since moved on to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy as my primary. Now I see activity in 12 hours or less.

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
Hey,..thanks for the reply,..can't wait to see how you like it when it is done.

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:05 AM »
It's done...and gone already. I found out that if you let beer age a little, the flavors REALLY come out. I tried a bottle 21 days after bottling...so it was fully carbed. It was OK at best. Then I waited 10 days more...WOW! The orange really came out in it and the head stability improved 3 fold! 

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »
I know how you feel,..I did an IPA,..bottled it,..seemed like it took forever to carb,..by the time it carbonated nicely,..with the flavor even better,..I think I had about 6 left,..but I enjoyed them like no other!

Offline KipDM

• Brewing: makes friends and settles nerves!
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:26 PM »
I know how you feel,..I did an IPA,..bottled it,..seemed like it took forever to carb,..by the time it carbonated nicely,..with the flavor even better,..I think I had about 6 left,..but I enjoyed them like no other!

not sure what temp you and Gwap are bottle conditioning at ut i do it at 67-73 degrees and the carbonation is fine after 10 days. beer not mature but it's carbonated.

btw have bottled my Dry Stout, racked my Black IPA to the secondary tonight while i was steeping grains on my India Brown Ale (just hit the fermenter about 30 minutes ago.

also, i use plastic bottling bucket as my primary (until i can get 2 6.5 gallon glass carboys) and i see activity always within 12 hours unless i am fermenting REALLY low temps. of course i either pitch a liquid AND dry yeast packet or i pitch 2 dry yeast packets (3 packs for the IBA). sometimes i remember to rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching but usually i don't bother.
KipDM
On Tap: Autumn Amber, Columbus Warrior DIPA
Primary: none :(
Secondary: Pumpkin Spice Ale

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:30 AM »
My temps are always in perfect range.  My porter carbs quickly,..but for me, it is the IPA that usually takes at least 2 to 3 weeks to carbed the way I like it.